Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Synaptics driver stopped working

HP ENVY 15-k046nd Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Yesterday my touchpad was suddenly turned on and I tried to disable it with the settings I always used (configuration screen) However, when i tried to open the control zone for it, it told me it couldn't connect to the driver. I decide to try and reinstall the driver, but it said another driver was already on my computer. I could delete it within the program files on the configuration screen, but there was nothing. So I couldn't deinstall it at all. Its really annoying because I never use my touchpad and my hand keeps brushing over it, so my mouse or text keeps going away. 

Please I would like a solution. I can add files to what my screen keeps saying; but it's all in dutch.

(Also my smart connect technology keeps flashing a yellow triangle and I have no idea what I have to do against that)

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,159 20,780 1,357 2,142
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Synaptics driver stopped working

Hi @asparidaens,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues with the touchpad not working on your HP notebook. Don't worry, though, as I have a few steps that should help to resolve the issue,

First, restart the computer and tap on F10 during restart, once on BIOS screen, move the mouse cursor around to check if it works normally,

If it does, it would confirm a software issue and you follow the below steps if it doesn't work on its a hardware failure and I would suggest a touchpad replacement.

I recommend you to uninstall any generic synaptic drivers showing up for the touchpad (if available) under hidden devices from the device manager:

* Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

* At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

* Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

start devmgmt.msc

* Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager. NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.

* When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.

* Type exit at the command prompt.

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.

And then download a new version of the synaptic drivers using this link: Click here

I also need a few details to provide further assistance (if need be):

When was the time it worked (date)?

Did you install the updates from the official hp website?

For more details, please go through the support link:

HP Notebook PCs - Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 😎 - Click here

HP Notebook PCs - Using the HP Control Zone Touchpad (Windows 😎 - Click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation