Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (2,398 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion G7 Internet connectivity issues

HELP!! I am working on a laptop for a consumer and I am stuck hard. The laptop is a Pavilion G7 with Windows 7 64-bit. The machine was given to me under the premise of "Internet does not work". The wireless properties and LAN settings say that the laptop is connected and has Internet access. I can ping outside addresses from the machine, and can ping the machine from other devices. It also pulls a valid ip address according to an ipconfig. However, when you try to pull up a website, it gives a "website cannot be found" page. This happens on IE, Firefox, and Chrome. All chipset drivers, ethernet drivers, and wireless drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled. They are the newest drivers available from HP's website. I have even replaced the wireless NIC thinking it may just be a bad card. I've checked the IPv4 settings and all is set right. Thinking of possible DNS issues I tried using straight IP addresses to connect to webpages but all to no avail. I am quite baffled and need some guidance. Are there BIOS issues that would affect this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Re: Pavilion G7 Internet connectivity issues

Hey Darken_Rahl,

Hmmmmmmm... interesting.

Are you able to ping an IP address?

I don't think you're dealing with a hardware issue it has to be setting / OS related.

It really sounds like a DNS issue even though IP browsing isn't working. Have you flushed the DNS? If not please do that now:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.
  4. Test.

Also try these in a elevated command prompt:

1. Start.
  2. Type cmd in the search.
  3. Right click cmd/command prompt and run as admin.
  4. Type netsh i i r r and hit enter.
  5. Type netsh winsock reset and hit enter.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Test.

Let me know the results of those. Smiley Happy

View solution in context
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 6 (2,346 Views)

Hey @Darken_Rahl ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you've got a notebook that can connect but cannot browse.

Are the IPv4 settings set to automatically obtain IP and DNS settings or are they set manually? Other than that it sounds like a proxy issue. 

Make sure the system is set to automatically obtain proxy settings:

1. Press Windows Key + R
  2. Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK
  3. Click the Connections tab.
  4. Click the LAN settings button.
  5. Check the box that says Automatically detect settings.

I would also test the connection in safe mode with networking to rule out any interfering services or processes. If you're able to browse in safe mode download Malwarebytes and run a scan to check for malware infections. Alternatively you can try a clean boot of Windows to rule out interfering software. How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Let me know if this helps! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (2,343 Views)

Thanks for your reply Great_Deku_Tree. There were no proxy servers enabled, and the IPv4 settings are set to obtain automatically. However, I have tried using a static address as well as DHCP and it hasn't helped. I tried connecting in Safe Mode with Networking and still getting the "Webpage Cannot be Displayed" message. Attempted a clean boot as well. No luck.

Since my original post, I have also tried an external usb network adapter. Once again I get signal and it says that I have Internet access but no browser capability. Any other ideas?

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6 (2,340 Views)

Hey Darken_Rahl,

Hmmmmmmm... interesting.

Are you able to ping an IP address?

I don't think you're dealing with a hardware issue it has to be setting / OS related.

It really sounds like a DNS issue even though IP browsing isn't working. Have you flushed the DNS? If not please do that now:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.
  4. Test.

Also try these in a elevated command prompt:

1. Start.
  2. Type cmd in the search.
  3. Right click cmd/command prompt and run as admin.
  4. Type netsh i i r r and hit enter.
  5. Type netsh winsock reset and hit enter.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Test.

Let me know the results of those. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (2,337 Views)

What exactly did this command do?

• Type netsh i i r r and hit enter.
  • Type netsh winsock reset and hit enter.     Whatever it is, it worked, but I would really like to know what I did for future reference. Thank you so much. You saved my bacon on this one.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6 (2,334 Views)

Hey Darken_Rahl,

Glad that worked. Especially considering I saved bacon. Bacon and I have a very strong relationship.

So the netsh i i r r is a short form of netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt. This command overwrites 2 registry keys: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters and SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters. Your essentially reinstalling TCP/IP on the operating system.

Netsh winsock reset is a way of resetting the Windows winsock. Winsock controls how your software interacts with TCP/IP. 

These 2 commands are my go-to for any networking issue I can't figure out because it's basically blowing up networking and reinstalling it from scratch. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation