3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wireless card upgrade

dv6t-2000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to install an N or AC wireless card that supports 5.0 GHz band but I'm not sure what card to get. I read about BIOS whitelisting so not sure if my BIOS has a whitelist and if yes where can I find it? BIOS version I have is "Hewlett-Packard F.04 10/09/2009" if that matters.

4 REPLIES 4
Level 15
Level 15
18,961 18,903 1,765 4,176
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wireless card upgrade

bezzz

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but unlike desktops, which use cards, laptops have chips that are soldered directly to the motherboard or system board -- and these are not customer-replaceable part.

This means there is really no way to upgrade the video, WiFi, or processor on laptops. You're stuck with what came with the PC.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
bezzz
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wireless card upgrade

@WAWood wrote:

@bezzz

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but unlike desktops, which use cards, laptops have chips that are soldered directly to the motherboard or system board -- and these are not customer-replaceable part.

This means there is really no way to upgrade the video, WiFi, or processor on laptops. You're stuck with what came with the PC.

I don't understand. I was cleaning my laptop yesterday and didn't have any trouble unplugging it. I unscrewed the back panel and lifted the hard drive, the card is right there.

This is what I have right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BroadCom-BCM94312HMG-BCM4312-504593-003-504593-004-Half-Wireless-Card-for-HP...

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
18,961 18,903 1,765 4,176
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wireless card upgrade

Yeah, I understand that you were able to find the WLAN module.

But ... here is a link to the Service and Maintenance Guide for your PC -- and on page 1-4, where they have listed the end-user replaceable items, the WLAN module is NOT listed:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01860375

If you have a module and want to try replacing it yourself, the instructions start on page 16 -- but you are on your own doing this.  If that fails, or if it damages anything in the process, the HP warranty does not cover what you are doing.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
bezzz
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wireless card upgrade

This laptop is 8 years old. There is no warranty. All i want to know is what wifi cards it supports.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation