cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CJacksonLASD
Level 4
114 101 3 30
Message 1 of 600
Flag Post

Solved!

7690M GPU = HP HORRIBLE DRIVER SUPPORT

HP Recommended

I just got my Dv7t yesterday with the 7690M and I was unable to get the switchable graphics to utilize the 7690 GPU. The reason is HP is HORRIBLE with driver support. If you check the driver section for you compter you will not even see an option for the Radeon 7690M drivers download, only the Intel Drivers.

After extensive searching online, I found that the switchable graphics are flawed, that even when you set up high performance it still utilizes the Intel GPU. To fix that go into your BIOS and switch graphics to FIXED from DYNAMIC. Then you will have the option to manually switch GPUs on your desktop, its no longer automatic.

However the next issue you will see is that many games dont run like SWTOR. That is because the current drivers dont have the propper Open GL drivers and you will only get blank screens. To fix that download the Catalyst 12.2 preview drivers from Guru3d. It will make your Radeon report as a general 6700 series (the 7690 is basically the 6770 with 900mhz memory vs the 800mhz the 6770 has). But with those drivers everything plays very fast, even though it lowers your memory 100mhz slower :smileysad:.  I also still get random crashes and a little throttling issues.

We will all have to wait for HP to pull their heads out of their buts and to design some propper current drivers for the Radeon 7690 graphics card.

599 REPLIES 599
Kimo214
3 1 0 0
Message 2 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THANKS!

I only did the BIOS stuff.

it got my radeon 7690 work.

But still games ran like my old 4650HD with 20 fps!
I have a 2GB 7690M XT with 8 GB ram 2.2 core i7 2670qm processor.

i dont understand why do i still have a poor performance.

should i get the catalyst that you say.

my current catalyst version is the one that came with laptop.

0 Kudos
CJacksonLASD
Author
Level 4
114 101 3 30
Message 3 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes I had the same problem.  The HP drivers are based on 11.2 Catalyst drivers from 2010.  However they were never designed for the 7000 series, only the 6000 series.  Long story short HP hasnt propperly developed the 7690 drivers to work with their hardware setup. 

Download the AMD Catalyst 12.2 drivers, as soon as I installed those drivers most games worked fine with a few minor hick ups.  Hope it all works out for you.

0 Kudos
deminio
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi

Can you help me please ?
I have a dv7-6b70eb with a 6770m amd/intel and have changed my bios to fixed so i can only use the 6770 card.

Now, my problem is that i want to update my graphic drivers, but on many sites, it is advised not to update drivers -other than HP- to a notebook with switchable graphics. It is also mentionned to the released notes of those catalyst drivers, that switchable graphics are not supported.
The question is, now that i am in fixed mode, is it considered as switchable graphics ?

Any advice ?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Scoustar
Level 3
47 37 1 4
Message 5 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'd suggest you now don't have switchable graphics, however read on...

If you've managed to select fixed graphics (using your gfx card) then stick with them! Switchable graphics are a nightmare of unreliability and malfunction.

ONLY if you need better battey life should you consider switching.

0 Kudos
Vinetu-80
4 4 0 0
Message 6 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi CJackson,

I have the dv6 series HP with 7690m XT 2Gb, but although AMD CCC allows me to switch to 7690m, the only game I tried so far (MM Heroes 6)  runs completely mediocre (and often crashes) on medium whereas it should fly on high settings from what I read about 7690m. So I appreciate you sharing your experiences with AMD 12.2 drivers, I am willing to give them a shot, except... I've never played with drivers before. Could you please explain to a relative newbie what are the steps to follow in installing them, first set BIOS to fixed, then uninstall default HP drivers / or just installing them over them or...? Also, to make sure, you are reffering to the drivers posted by asder00 on guru3D, right?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
CJacksonLASD
Author
Level 4
114 101 3 30
Message 7 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello all,

Graphics Switching

HP has not ignored the options available to it, and has fitted their newest laptops with automatic graphics switching. The way this works is incredibly simple: either the graphics unit integrated into the processor handles the work, or the dedicated graphics unit steps in, as needed. This makes it possible to have powerful notebooks with longer battery life.

For graphics switching to work at its best, the driver should be kept up-to-date. Unfortunately their drivers do not reliably recognise every game I play, so at times I had to manually intervene and select the appropriate graphics card in the Catalyst Control Center. The relevant menu can be reached quite easily by right-clicking on the desktop (‘Configure graphics switching’).

AMD’s graphics switching system does not even come close to Nvidia’s Optimus technology at the moment, lacking as it is in convenient special functions, visual displays, and options for manual intervention.

As a result of AMD's switchable graphics being unable to properly switch between the appropriate graphics cards, you need to utilize the "Fixed" option in your BIOS and manually switch your GPU's.  I find this to be very simple to do, to just utilize your AMD GPU when playing games, and your integrated GPU when not utilizing heavily extensive graphic programs. 

Installing Drivers

Unfortunately just utilizing the "fixed" option is not enough for most of us.  The next issue many of us have run into is that our AMD graphic cards are unable to play any games.  This is a result of HP current drivers 8.882.2.3000 are based on AMD 11.8 drivers which are outdated and not properly configured for 7000 series graphic cards.  The only way to fix this is to install newer drivers for the AMD graphic cards.  The one I recommend at the momment are the AMD Catalyst 12.2.  WARNING:  DO NOT UNINSTALL YOUR GRAPHIC DRIVERS PRIOR TO INSTALLING CCC 12.2.   The reason is the current drivers 8.882.2.3000 allows your INTEL and AMD graphic cards to work together.  If you uninstall the drivers, you loose both graphic cards, which means complete failure of your switchable graphics.  Just install 12.2 over your current drivers, it will update only what it needs to.  Second Warning:  12.2 was not designed for the 7690M, so as a result it will read your 7690M as a 6700 series GPU (lowering your memory from 900 to 800mhz - which you will never see any difference). 

We will just have to wait for HP to give us some proper drivers so we can properly utilize our 7690M graphic cards.

P.S. for those of you will very low fps rates, it is because you are utilizing Dynamic Switchable Graphics and your integrated GPU is active, not your high performance GPU.

deminio
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One question please, can i update also to 12.2 (or 12.1 official ones) for my 6770m dv7-6b70eb ?

And if yes, downloading it from guru3d ?

Thanx for your help !

0 Kudos
CJacksonLASD
Author
Level 4
114 101 3 30
Message 9 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes 6770 is an older GPU, that became functional with Catalyst 11 series.  The main issue people are having is the drivers with the 7000 series AMD GPU's like the 7690 what I have.  If you have HP drivers, then you most likely have old drivers and 12.2 or 12.1 should be better.  When ever changing drivers, just check what kind of GPU the drivers are detecting (including your clock speed and memmory speed).  If a driver is installed that is not intended for you GPU, it will give you a false reading and might change your clock/memory speeds affecting performance.  In my case the 12.2 sees the 7690 as a 6700 series and it lowered the memory speed.  That is becasue 7690 is a brand new GPU (actually its only the 6770 but with higher clock values) and no AMD drivers support it yet.  We have to upgrade to 12.2 because the stock drivers on HP laptops are faulty not allowing us to play any games with the 7690.

0 Kudos
Vinetu-80
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 600
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer CJackson. The only point I don't understand fully is your advice that after switching your BIOS to fixed you say that we should utilize AMD GPU for games and intel for less demanding tasks. If you flash the BIOS and update it with the F.1A version that alows that kind of configuration, won't selecting one GPU in BIOS ("fixed") make it the only one to be used, you cannot switch anymore? Thanks in advance for the clarification (always ultra cautios when playing with BIOS...)

Other point, will the new 12.2 drivers work as well if I don't tangle with the BIOS at all, just leaving it as "dynamic"?

Thanks in advance for those clarifications!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation