cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
12 9 0 4
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

EliteBook 2760p BIOS password scrambled / screen changed by update?

HP Recommended

Is it possible that BIOS updates occasionally scramble BIOS passwords?

I ask because I looked at my notes for the BIOS password originally set, entered it... and the 2760P BIOS is not accepting it.

In fact, to be more specific, the BIOS screens seem to have got more complex than I remember first time round - when I hit F10, I get "Guest User - Login into F10 as guest user?" - when I choose NO (since I want full control) it seems to show my Windows 7 info (UserIID = "UserA" and 'domain' = "PC1" (actually ComputerName).

My Windows password (for UserA, the one I use every day to logon to Windows) IS accepted, but only gives me limited access to the BIOS settings. There seems no way to enter a 'master' password, i.e. the one which I had recorded as being the password originally enterd.

Apart from updating the BIOS a few times over the past few months, the only other thing I updated was ProtectTools - but I don't use any of it (like,Fingerprints etc.)

Under guest access to the BIOS, there is the option: "Reset BIOS Security to factory default" - anyone know what the actual effect of this is?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
12 9 0 4
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK - after trawling around the net (who said computers are time savers...?) I finally found the answer - I think.

In short, it looks like "ProtectTools" does something with the BIOS startup screen - and sort of assumes you want to enter the BIOS using the (usually) lone Windows id and password.

So, the thing to do if you want to user your Administrator BIOS password is in fact to do the OPPOSITE of what you would expect, and say YES to Logon as GUEST.  You then need to change/set the Administrator BIOS password... so that next time you hit F10 on startup, you get a CHOICE of both Administrator BIOS and (usual Windows logon).

Although I installed HP ProtectTools, I hesitated to use it fully due to me sensing that it was a bit of a 'dogs dinner'

*Rant alert*

Is it really beyond the capability of huge companies like HP to design easy to use, yet secure systems?  For some reason they seem to think that having an app which has about 300 different options and tentacles in every part of your system is going to be more secure.

IMHO the reverse is true - firstly, most people will take one look at the app and never use it, due to the complexity.  Secondly, because of the complexity, you get the 'feeling' of security even if some key option has not been set - because the UI is particularly counter-intuitive.

Also, these apps seem to be provided by 3rd Party dev people - is HP really lacking staff who could provide this kind of app in house?

And finally.... why not provide mouse-over hints to explain what each option means? - trying to work out what even e.g. "Audible alerts: Enabled" means is mystifiying (sure, we know that it means that some kind of sound will be heard... but when?  and why?)

*rant over*

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation