Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
18 16 0 2
Message 1 of 29
Flag Post

HP Envy 17t-3200 Battery 657503-001 No Longer Available

HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy 17t-3200CTO. It uses HP Replacement Battery 657503-001. I purchased the computer from HP in 2012. Two years later, I find that HP no longer stocks a replacement battery for it. In fact, no domestic US after-market replacement is listed on eBay (as 12-11-2014). Two Hong Kong providers, bill981101 and gates980813, sell it and will deliver before February 2 – that would be six weeks from now. Amazon doesn't sell it. Newegg and Tiger Direct don't. Anker and Batteries Plus are no and no. I could go on.

Two years after purchasing this premium-priced HP laptop, what's the owner of an Envy 17t-3200CTO to do? I asked HP site, which suggested the HP Store, which sent me away with the phone number to HP Parts. But HP Parts wanted to send me off with the phone number for the HP Store, but after being reminded I’d been there, instead sends me away with a phone number for HP PartsPartner. I asked the HP PartsPartner, who suggests I try eBay but warns to be sure I buy from a domestic seller with a good reputation. Now, having found no domestic sellers on eBay, I ponder whether to try “bill” or “gates.” Yes, a handful of retailers, in addition to bill981101 and gates980813, sell them, but that handful tends to feature product pictures of a different model battery. This doesn’t make me feel confident.

I believe the HP PartsPartner cautioned me wisely. From a consumer protection standpoint, I'd like at least the option of purchasing from HP or some domestic seller who has an established reputation and knows what the product looks like. I'm sure someone can out-google me and eek out another seller or two, but is that how a purchase like this is supposed to go? My laptop was HP’s consumer flagship model just two years ago. What causes the dearth of these batteries? An inherent design defect? A complete lack of a market? Uncareful planning?

For me and fellow owners who might find themselves here, I’d love to know of top-tier sellers who have the right battery in stock and are ready to ship. Please share what you know. If I don't, I guess I’ll just flip a coin, choosing bill for heads and gates for tails, and then I’ll find an outlet and just settle in until Groundhog Day. Does that sound right to you? 

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
84,047 83,938 10,567 22,669
Message 2 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the model/product of your machine ? HP may have a replacement. Please use the following instructions for find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
18 16 0 2
Message 3 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I welcome any assistance you can provide, since I received only bad news from HP Customer Support.

The HP Support Assistant indicates:

The Product Name is HP ENVY 17-3200 Notebook PC.

The Product Number for my particular notebook is A6U50AV.

A more specific name for the laptop is HP ENVY 17t-3200 CTO 3D Edition Notebook PC. The support page to the model is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&product=5275349. That support page links to the HP ENVY 17 Maintenance and Service Guide at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03317166.pdf. On page 39, the guide indicates

the battery HP Spare Part Number is 657503-001.

Confirming this number, the HP OEM battery label on the original battery for the HP ENVY 17-3200 specifies: “Replace with HP Spare Part 657503-001.” This is the number that HP Support confirmed for me, though I found some confusion initially. So, this is the number I used in the subject of my original post. HP Support provided no alternative part number, and I discovered none during my search.

I am unaware of any variations among batteries for the HP ENVY 17t-3200 laptops. I understand, however, that the HP ENVY 17t-2000 series uses an entirely different battery. This creates significant confusion and makes searching for a replacement difficult. Like users, battery sellers are typically unaware of this difference. Undoubtedly, one of the reasons is that the HP ENVY 17 Maintenance and Service Guide – linked to on the HP Support page for the “HP ENVY 17t-3200 CTO 3D Edition Notebook PC User Guides” – is inclusively titled, implicitly suggesting that the basic parts, such as something like a battery, for the general model number are the same. The guide for the HP 17-2000 series is exclusive, entitled HP ENVY 17t HP ENVY 17 (model numbers 2000 through 2099) Maintenance and Service Guide.

In comparing the titles of the two different guides, it is easy to realize how the guide specific to the ENVY 17-3000 series is misleading and confuses sellers and consumers alike. The confusion is compounded because the replacement battery for the HP 17-2000 battery is widely available, and typically is offered as a replacement for the ENVY 17-3000 series. In the real world, users and consumers alike reasonably assume they are the same.

Perhaps the difference in battery types is related to the internal space required for the 17-3200 series to accommodate two hard drives and an mSATA drive, for a total of three drives. I don’t know, as I don’t have an informed understanding of the differences between the two series.

I hope this information is more complete. Thank you for your response. Posting here is pretty much my only remaining option, so I hope you can help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 5 0 0
Message 4 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you had any luck finding a battery? I've been searching for a replacement battery for my envy 17 for months (I have the A6U49AV, which uses the same battery) , and haven't been able to find anything yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,248 41,496 4,529 11,907
Message 5 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have asked to have your issue escalated.

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
15,312 9,281 121 369
Message 6 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Wallter ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
15,312 9,281 121 369
Message 7 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @gildavl ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear,

I have exactly the same problem, My HP envy 17 is from 2012. The VT06XL battery holds merely 30% of capacity and the BIOS checks tells me to replace it. Using HP support diagnostic i am redirected to Best2serve ... none of the battery listed there resemble ( not even from far ) the battery of my Envy. I've removed the battery in the meantime, label on the battery it is clearly marked in capitals [ REPLACE WITH HP SPARE 657506-001] . But just as my fellow HP-top notch model owners i've spend hours googling around and never findng the original spare part available . And yes some "Dark"  Hong kong battery sellers say they offer this type ... if those would ever fit, which i do not believe as the 10 wire socket to the motherboard is not even there ....

Anyhow , Honkong batteries with unknown chemistry ... no thanks !

So dead in the water ... being send from Pontius to Pilatus as well.

Shame !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've found a German e-bay seller (Guru2000 - ZAR systems)  in the meantime, he sells the correct battery for the amazing price of 153 Eur without shipment ( 24 Eur) . No thanks , that is in total half the price of a low-end laptop these days . This is what you get if a spare part is not available / scarse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation