cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ErikBrown Top Student
Top Student
2 1 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ProBook 4520s hangs during upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 due to Ralink RT3090 driver

ProBook 4520s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While upgrading my ProBook 4520s from Windows 7 pro 64 to Windows 10 pro 64 the laptop froze. It appears that it was caused by the Ralink RT3090 wifi chip driver that comes with Windows 10. I have replaced it with another driver and the upgrade worked fine.

The procedure I followed was as follows:

- Disable the wifi/bluetooth combo in the BIOS settings. 

- Goto control panel - Windows upgrade and start the listed Windows 10 upgrade

- After Windows 10 has been installed, download the Ralink RT3090 driver from:

http://mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/pcimpcicbrt2860rt2760rt2890/

fill in a name, email address and the captcha to start the download of the driver package. Note that Mediatek bought Ralink a few years ago so this site is from the manufacturer or the Ralink RT3090 wifi chip used in the laptop.

- Unpack the driver package in a folder.

- Select Windows key + R, enter msconfig and run it

- Select to start Windows 10 in safe mode after the next boot 

- Select to reboot the PC

- When the PC restarts but before Windows 10 starts up, enter the BIOS settings by pressing escape

- Enable the wifi/bluetooth combo in the BIOS settings

- Save the BIOS settings and exit

- Windows will start in safe mode

- Install the new driver by running setup.exe in the folder where the driver package was unpacked

- Select Windows key + R and enter msconfig and configure to start Windows normally after the next boot

- Reboot

It appears that the ProBook 4520s can also come with other wifi chips than the Ralink 3090, so this fix might not be suitable for all versions of the ProBook 4520s.

5 REPLIES 5
Dean
Dean
13,038 12,218 582 1,541
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ProBook 4520s hangs during upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 due to Ralink RT3090 driver

Thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos
mpsamuels Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Signed up to this forum simply to say, you sir just saved my laptop being thrown out the window!! I've no idea how you fathomed which driver was causing the bother but what a superb bit of advice. Thank you so much 🙂

One happy Probook 4520, now Windows 10, user.
0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
13,038 12,218 582 1,541
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found the original XP driver package, uzipped it and looked in the inf file to find the model.

Glad you solved it, where did you find the driver?, you might post a link to it for others that may see this post that have the same issue.

0 Kudos
LasseB Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Amazing detective work to find the culprit and solid instructions to solve the problem. Great job!! Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Rick0Shay Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well done - since you wrote this solution - Windows 10 is able to auto acquire the new bluetooth / wifi driver. So simply deactivate the device in the bios as mentioned above - then install W10. Once new OS is installed - reboot - go into the bios enable the blutooth / wifi onboard device and save your bios settings.

Then once W10 has rebooted - W10 should automatically acquire the updated driver within a few minutes. If not go into control panel  > device manager > network devices and right click on the bluetooth / wifi network device and say update driver > search automatically  - W10 will then acquire the driver and enable the wifi / bluetooth device and you're good to go.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation