Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 9 (421 Views)

School laptop for 2017

Product Name: HP Probook 450 G4

So for next year I am required to bring a laptop I heard our school provides HP probook 430 g3s

to buy but I opted to go for the Hp probook 450 G4 with the specs here  http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=NTB&id=Z3Y47PA&opt=

that we would this Hp probook 450 G4 do well for school.?

ill mainly use it with for doing school work on it but it must succeed 8 hours or more but I'm read claims it offers 12 hours from the HDD or 14 hours from the ssd another part says it has 16 hours going for it too.

I really want to but this laptop fro school so if you could help me out it would be helpful also I wanted to ask quickly does the battery in this  be replace I mean can be taken out of like normal laptops where you hold the two buttons together cause I don't want to be stuck which a 3 cell battery

PS: I'm taking up IST next year so I want to know if this cna handle visual studio with the nvidia 930MX and can I also swap out the hdd internal 1 tb link listed above for a third party ssd?

but I heard they offer batteries for the 450 G4 here 

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=P3G16AA&opt=&sel=ACC 

1.10.8 screen or higher this probook 450 has a 15.6 screen

2. A screen resolution of 1024-768

3.802.11n or better event though  were getting AC wireless next year

4.audio/mic ports 

5.full qwerty keyboard 

6. a MININUM OF 8 hOURS (Very important Here!)

7. Robust carrying case 

thanks for helping hope to see replys kick in soon!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 9 (394 Views)

Re: School laptop for 2017

So help me understand you have already purchased the 450 G4? 

Here is the Service manual:

Manual

It is a 4-cell entirely internal battery. Specs say 3-cell, manual says 4; both say 48 wh capacity which is not huge for a laptop with an i5 and a dedicated video card.  Laptop must be disassembled to replace the battery...no easy swap. 8 hours of battery life is a tall order, my friend. A lot of laptops will claim to provide it but if you are counting on 8 hours I suggest you get one of those power vault things to carry around. My guess is you will get 4-5 hours out of it as configured.

The hard drive and SSD are accessible through a panel so no issues with the warranty in swapping the 5400 rpm SATA HDD for a solid state drive. It can take EITHER a 2.5 inch form factor or an M.2, but not both. To install an M.2 you would need a caddy for it and those are not easy to find so if you want to put in an SSD use a 2.5 inch model, allowing you to reuse the mounting hardware from the HDD. The memory can easily be upgraded to 16 gigs. The wireless card is a very good one and is 802.11ac compatible. It has a usb-C port which is the newest thing.

Other than that I think this laptop will meet your needs. With the FHD screen it should be nice to use and it has a decent dedicated video card that will let you run content creation apps like visual studio. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Tutor
Message 3 of 9 (379 Views)

Thanks for your feedback yeah I was looking at getting it because our school had a  website that was partnered with some IT service and they had a HP probook 430 G3 with it but the laptops they were providing were to claim that they would all last the 8 hour mark. but when I spoke to some HP live customer chat they told me it will be sucfficent to get me through the whole school day also I would like to mention that we are not allowed to charge laptops on our school grounds don't know why it just says that in the booklet that we were given so it must be able to hold 8 hours I was told this laptop is very power efficient cause of the new processor etc but I am not sure why the websites I visited gave hours ranging from like 12 with the HDD and 14 With the SSD even though they were the correct model for the laptop. Also is  there some way I could squeeze more battery out of it if I can thanks! 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
:) 
Provost
Message 4 of 9 (377 Views)

[ Edited ]

Best single way to stretch the battery runtime is to turn down the screen brightness as low as you can stand. 

Asking a laptop seller about runtime on laptop batteries is like asking a politician if he plans to raise taxes. Don't believe all you hear.  

Tutor
Message 5 of 9 (370 Views)

First off I want to say I spoke with them this morning They said first of all your not a HP expert and that you we're telling me that the battery life were rough estimates and that he said it was benchmarked etc Again, as the "HP expert" says, the best to save power is to minimize the settings of your screen like the brightness. but I was told by the live chat representive that it's a energy efficient laptop based on Kaby lake which is more power efficient then older models 

Tutor
Message 6 of 9 (363 Views)

So I was told there's two types of this laptop consumer and business I'm getting business exactly how do you swap out the battery for a higher one there's two I think a 6 cell and something else surely it can't be hard to swap out a battery what parts you have to take out to access it?

Provost
Message 7 of 9 (358 Views)

See my badge? I most certainly am an HP Expert. I have been answering questions here since 2001. I do not work for HP and I am not trying to sell you anything. That's the difference. 

The battery is flat and fits tight inside the laptop. There is no space for anything bigger or different.

But don't believe me. Believe what you want to believe. We live in a "post-truth" world I am told. 

Tutor
Message 8 of 9 (350 Views)

Yeah but I don't get it with the manual it says the batttery provided there is bigger then the ri06xl and stuff I thought the ri06xl could fit into that laptop but it's a business laptop and the battery on the manual is hidden under the keyboard etc so I don't think I can use batteries like the Rio6xl so I'm stuck with the 4 cell.

Intern
Message 9 of 9 (256 Views)

No, the battery cannot be removed as on older notebooks. 

Please review page 21 of this document, for the details:

Copy and paste this link: 

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c05123921

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation