cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
javelkjell25
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

problem to get internet with SIM-card on probook 6550b win7 pro 64bit

HP Recommended

Hello.

I am trying to connect to internet with a SIM-card on my Probook 6550b with win 7 Pro - 64 bit

I have tried an external USB device (called Globesurfer icon) which works on computers running XP, but I cant get it to work on mine.

I have tried to put the SIM card directly in the slot where the battery is. Nothing happens when I start up the computer, and there is only two options in the wireless assistant (WLAN and Bluetooth)

I have tried to download and install a file (called sp53068) from the HP support site which were supposed to install drivers for cell phone internet. There comes a DOS-window, and it says one sentence. Then it just closes.
I have also tried to install all the application-files which the sp53068 extracted into c:\swsetup\SP53068, but they wont work.

Please help me with this issue. Right now that is my only option to connect to internet from my notebook.

In advance, thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
javelkjell25
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello. Just wanted to say that the "mystery" is solved. The USB-device simply doesn't work because it is only supporting operative systems up to Win7 32-bit and no further. I have 64-bit, therefore it's a "no-go". Thanks for you time anyway.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
9 REPLIES 9
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
137,914 92,576 21,284 28,587
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

In addition to a SIM card, you also need the WWAN module. They do not come standard on most HP business PC's. If you don't see it in your device manager, it is probably not installed.

Below is the link to your service manual. Chapter 3, page 47 will tell you what WWAN card you need with the corresponding HP part number.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02760808/c02760808.pdf

Chapter 4, page92 will tell you how to install it.

It appears that you need a certain motherboard for a WWAN module and you need the antenna's. I would look at Chapter 4, starting on page 92 and take the notebook apart to see if there are antenna connectors present and a mini PCie slot to install the WWAN card. If they are not present you cannot install an internal mobile broadband card in your PC without a major effort and expensive replacement parts.

Make sure to unplug the PC from any A/C power and remove the battery before taking anything else apart.

Paul

javelkjell25
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Allright, thanks for a good and detailed answer.

But the USB-device I have (Globesurfer icon) have an own antenna in it.

Shouldn't it then work if I plug it into any type of computer with a supported OS, included my probook?

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Don't you need to put the SIM card somewhere inside the WWAN USB device?  That is how any of them work that I have seen.

I only think the sim card works inside the computer if you have the internal WWAN card.

Paul

javelkjell25
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the USB-device I've got has both an antenna and a SIM-card slot. The problem is as earlier stated that it will not work on my HP probook, but it works just fine on other computers.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know then.

I would put the SIM card in the device, and see if it works.

Paul

javelkjell25
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes 🙂 I have tried to put the sim-card in there. Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough.

It should work just fine (as it does on other computers), however it doesn't work on my probook.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm sorry.

I see you were clear when I re-read it. I think I was just stuck on your first post about putting the SIM card in the slot in the notebook, and I never let that go.

I don't know what to tell you. The USB mobile device with the sim card in it should work. Is there a driver update or software update that you can download and install from the wireless company?

javelkjell25
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problem. I really appreciate the help you've given, and that you answer so fast.

I've checked their homepage also, but can't seem to find any driver there.

I just sent an e-mail to them, and hope that they can provide me an answer.

Thanks for the help!

javelkjell25
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello. Just wanted to say that the "mystery" is solved. The USB-device simply doesn't work because it is only supporting operative systems up to Win7 32-bit and no further. I have 64-bit, therefore it's a "no-go". Thanks for you time anyway.

View solution in original post

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation