cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pcwizard
Level 13
Level 13
12,147 11,469 966 2,940
Message 41 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi vcalder,

I can understand your frustration with the different messages you are getting. It is possible that the operating system on this computer is contributing to the installation failures. Install this printer on a different computer using the latest version 28.8, and let me know if you experience the same issues?
I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
vcalder
Level 2
27 24 0 1
Message 42 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry not to respond for awhile.  Since we determined my scanning problem is probably due to something in my Windows XP laptop configuration and since this laptop is sort of on its last leg anyway (processor is getting weak and very slow), I decided to replace it with a new HP Envy notebook I found a great sale on this past weekend.  I loaded the original Officejet 8600 software on the new computer, then downloaded the updated full-feature software from the HP support website and walla, everything works as it is supposed to, even in Windows 8! 

One more question before I exit this thread.  While installing programs on my new notebook, I noticed the Officejet 8600 doesn't have any photo handling/editing software like what came with my previous HP printers.  For example, I have a Photosmart 8250 that came with Photosmart Premier software.  I downloaded the Windows 8 driver for this printer and it works, but I didn't see any Windows 8 version of Photosmart Premier.  I really like that program but it looks like I'm out of luck with getting it onto my new notebook.  I know this probably isn't in your scope, but any suggestions?

0 Kudos
pcwizard
Level 13
Level 13
12,147 11,469 966 2,940
Message 43 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi vcalder,

Awesome to hear that the printer is working on the new laptop. The new printers don't come standard with photo editing software any longer, but it should have given you the option to download the HP Photo creations software. If not I have provided the link to download this software. Have a wonderful day.

Download Photo Creations

I am an HP employee.

0 Kudos
BxHiTMaN21
1 1 0 0
Message 44 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I followed an earlier post about removing any web cams and software from my computer (running windows 😎 and I resinstalled the full HP officejet software but that didnt work at first. 

I uninstalled all HP software then I decided to unplug my wireless mouse and keyboard as well and used my tablet to remote to install the full HP software again but again, that didnt work. 

I also have a usb 3.0 port via a usb pass through cable, I decided remote again to remove the software again and reinstall the full hp officejet software as well and that seem to have done the trick.

It seems as if the installation has a problem with any other usb devices plugged in as you're trying to install your printer, atleast in my case.  You may want to try removing all USB devices before installing your 8600.

Very tired dealing with this for the past 2 weeks, hope my brief walk through helps you all.  Sorry i wasnt more detailed

0 Kudos
IDb
Level 1
7 7 0 2
Message 45 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended

pcwizard,

I find it frustrating that just because the XP user decided it was time to get a new laptop, that the old issues that this thread was started with are simply forgotten.

I am using XP and see the same problems.  I have seen all kinds of rediculous suggestions from "hp experts".

These include plugging the printer into a wall outlet instead of a power strip

Reinstalling software 8+ times

Blaming things on a router

Blaming things on a XP OS corruption or "other" problem with the OS.

I challenge all the HP experts to get an HP Laptop or other computer.  Install brand new XP.  Use a variety of different routers.  Reinstall the HP printer software 10 times.  Plug it into a wall socket or power strip of their choice.

I  would be willing to bet that the 'experts' will see the same problems.  Regardless

I don't think the software or printer drivers were properly tested and verified to work with XP (or other OS)

Making people jump through all of these hoops without owing up to their shortcomings or proving it to themselves is unprofessional and people will shy away from HP.  Even if the printer is a good one.

Does the scan function work wirelessly for ANYONE running XP???

0 Kudos
vcalder
Level 2
27 24 0 1
Message 46 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Well said, IDb. I'm the one who gave up and replaced my laptop that was running XP. I agree that there is still an issue and I don't think it is just with XP. I also have a desktop HP computer running Vista 64 and the first time I tried to update to the "full-feature" software for the printer, it wouldn't work on that computer. Therefore, I reverted back to the software version that came on the installation disk. I haven't tried it again. I decided to leave well enough alone because all the functions work with the older version.
0 Kudos
pcwizard
Level 13
Level 13
12,147 11,469 966 2,940
Message 47 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Everyone, 

Uninstall the printer software you currently have installed, and then install the printer with the new version 28.8 from the link below. Let me know what you find out?

Version 28.8

I am an HP employee.

0 Kudos
IDb
Level 1
7 7 0 2
Message 48 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I appreciate the reply....

But this is what I was ranting about earlier.  How many people have to uninstall and reinstall the "latest" software with no results.  How much time for how many people reading this does this waste?

Does the latest software address anything specific to XP?  Why are you suggesting that you think it will work?  Have you tried to replicate the problem with the old software and see it get fixed with the new software before suggesting the solution?  If this was a solution to all of the complaining on many forums, wouldn't HP release it as an automated software update.  Wouldn't I have this fix already by doing a standard software update?

This appears to be trial and error at its worst.

But since it is a newer version of software than I have, I did uninstall and reinstall and....

I get the same problems:  The icon in the system tray indicating lost scan connection comes and goes.  When I click on some of the utilities such as Estimated Ink Levels, sometimes it works--sometimes I get the message that two way communication has failed.  The Fax Setup Wizard successfully communicates 1 in 10 times.  The Manage Fax Settings always fails with "There is a problem communicating with the printer.

I have successfully used the scan to computer 1 in 10 times from the printer to both my desktop and laptop.

The worst is I can't tell if the printer has a communication problem or not.

My Desktop runs XP - home.  Laptop runs XP professional.  I get the same wireless problems on both regarless of the software.

If anyone can describe a solid theory on what is wrong and how it would be fixed, I would be grateful.

pcwizard
Level 13
Level 13
12,147 11,469 966 2,940
Message 49 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi IDb, 

I can understand your frustrations with this issue. It appears that you are loosing the communication between the wireless router and the printer.

Have you tried using a different router or move the printer closer to the router to increase the signal strength?

Follow the steps in the document to help determine if the wireless signal strength of your network is contributing to the lose of communication. 

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection

I am an HP employee.

0 Kudos
vcalder
Level 2
27 24 0 1
Message 50 of 94
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC Wizard:

I just have to weigh in again on this.  I fully agree with IDb's last post.  HP needs to do something about this problem rather than using the user community as a test base for trial and error fixes.  Furthermore, your latest suggestion is one that was suggested to me by your printer support group back when I was fighting these issues with my XP laptop.  I didn't believe the problem to be an issue with my router or network either, but I tried the process anyway.  Guess what:  no problems found with either my network or router.  I even did troubleshooting with AT&T support (I have UVerse) and they helped to verify that there were no router or network issues, but I still could not resolve this "scanner unreachable" problem between the printer and the XP computer.  When I saw your earlier post about downloading the version 28.8 software, I was tempted to try it on my Vista computer, but realized this software version still shows a date of 10/22/2012.  Therefore, I realized I already had tried this "latest" version. 

Like I said before, my printer functions just fine with my new laptop running Windows 8 with the latest printer software and I'm still running the older version on the Vista computer because I tried the new version and it didn't work with my Vista computer.

Seems to me that HP should be able to find this problem.  If the new software version works with Windows 8, what changes were made to it to make that successful and try to mimic the changes in the Windows XP environment.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation