cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
titan234
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

Unable to connect my HP 6520 printer wirelessly

HP Recommended

I have this printer for less then a month, and although the scanning is slow and the printing is alright it worked fine. I recently moved to university and I cannot seem to connect to the internet.

Every time I try, it says 'Unable to connect. Unsupported authentication or encryption type'. I can connect to my iPhone and Macbook Pro perfectly fine without any issues but I cannot seem to connect the printer.

I really need it to work, considering the fact that I paid a lot for it and it doesn't work only habing it for less than a month.

Can anyone please help me? I don't have any information about the router since it's the wifi of the university.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sabretooth04
Level 14
21,074 15,308 1,541 3,041
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well do you have an Ethernet connection in your room????

Options:  Pick only one.

1.  Connect printer to your computer via USB Printer Cable (not just a USB cable... a USB Printer Cable).  Connect wirelessly to your schools network.  Recommended.

2.  If you have an Ethernet connection in your room, you can connect your computer via Ethernet cable and now you can use the printers Wireless Direct for wireless printing.

3.  Switch back and forth between your schools network and the printers Wireless Direct SSID to print wirelessly.   This option would be the less convenient.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
9 REPLIES 9
sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Read here on how to connect your wireless printer to a network requesting additional security and information (username and password).

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/How-to-connect-your-wireless-printer-to...

titan234
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have a router with me since it's the university's wifi. However, the printer itself created a new network and if I connect to it with my Macbook it can print/scan? But as soon as I want to use my Mac for internet, it's says it's not connected, so I have to switch back to university's wifi. It's very confusing, because it worked perfectly fine at home, but it doesn't work here. Is there anything I can do? Like change settings on the printer to recognice the university's wifi?

sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What you are seeing is the printers Wireless Direct connection to your computer.  You have a choice in this method.  Either connect to the printer or connect to the schools WiFi only,  one or the other not both (exclusive OR).   If you connect via Ethernet cable you can use the printers Wireless Direct (printers SSID).  Otherwise you must use a USB cable for the printer.

titan234
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can HP 6520 photosmart be connected by ethernet cable? I've seen the USB connection but no ethernet connectio, not sure what the USB connection does. Also, is the Wireless Direct a safe network to use? If I just swithc back to it everytime I want to print, would that be okay?

sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not your printer via Ethernet, your computer connection via Ethernet.  Assuming you have a Ethernet connection in your room. 

You printer can be connected via USB Printer Cable to your computer and then you can connect your computer via wireless to your schools SSID network.

And yes you can switch back and forth to use the printer or the Internet if you want totally wireless.

titan234
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So if I get the USB connection cable and connect the printer to my Mac, will the printer be working by using wireless connection of my Mac? Or do I need to then connect the laptop to the ethernet cable and connect the printer via USB cable? Sorry for so many questions, it's the first printer I've ever owned, so I need a few things to be clarified.

sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well do you have an Ethernet connection in your room????

Options:  Pick only one.

1.  Connect printer to your computer via USB Printer Cable (not just a USB cable... a USB Printer Cable).  Connect wirelessly to your schools network.  Recommended.

2.  If you have an Ethernet connection in your room, you can connect your computer via Ethernet cable and now you can use the printers Wireless Direct for wireless printing.

3.  Switch back and forth between your schools network and the printers Wireless Direct SSID to print wirelessly.   This option would be the less convenient.

View solution in original post

titan234
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do, if I wouldn't have ethernet connection, I wouldn't be asking. I'll most likely get the USB printe cable.

Thank you for your help!

sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, since you have an Ethernet connection in your room, option 2 will work for you also. 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation