cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mozartian
Level 1
9 4 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

idle printer

HP Recommended
hp psc 2510 photosmart all-in-
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

I have tried emailing customer relations with no success.

All I want is for my printer to work!
It's a psc 2510 photosmart all-in-one. My OS is Mac 10.7.5.

The printer apparently accepts jobs but then goes to "idle"mode.

Next to the job list it will say eg:

Printing page 1, 12% complete...
Idle

The green light next to the On button is flashing.

Alternatively, above the job list the heading will be:

Printer Paused
Sending data to printer

Printer going offline
Paused

If you can advise that would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if you understand this problem I would be interested to know why it has occurred.

Thanks,

Mozartian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
X-23
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,086 319 700
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Mozartian,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that your HP PSC 2510 Photosmart All-in-One Printer is experiencing issues when printing from your Mac OS X 10.7 computer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. The issue itself could be caused by one of two things: a driver conflict, or a USB connectivity issue. Due to the age of your printer HP did not release a downloadable Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer on Mac OS X 10.7. In fact, Full Feature drivers haven't been released for this model of printer since Mac OS X 10.5. Therefore, you are relying solely on an Apple Update V3.1 Driver package to use your printer on your Mac OS. Below, I will provide you with some standard Mac troubleshooting steps to resolve this printing issue. Can you please follow all of the steps below.

• Step 1: Reset the Print System:

To start, I am going to have you Reset the Print System on your Mac. Please click here for instructions on how to perform the Reset. When the website opens follow the steps under 'Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion.' This Reset will remove every printer from your Mac. However, it does not uninstall the printers. Therefore, should you use other printers on this Mac, once the Reset is complete simply ensure that the printers are connected via a USB Cable or Network connected and (+) Add them back in. Do not add your HP PSC Photosmart back in at this time.

Once the reset is complete, please proceed to the next step.

• Step 2: Uninstall Drivers and Software:

1. On the desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD icon If the Macintosh HD icon is not on the desktop, click the Finder icon in the Dock. Click on the Macintosh HD under Devices.
  2. Double-click the Library folder.
  3. Double-click the Printers folder.
  4. Right-click (or Ctrl +click) HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK.
  6. Wait for authentication to complete.
  7. Double-click the PPDs folder.
  8. Double-click the Contents folder.
  9. Double-click the Resources folder.
  10. Right-click (or Ctrl +click) the name of your printer in the product list, and select Move to Trash.
  11. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. By clicking OK, all items in your trash will be permanently deleted from your computer. To delete one item in the trash, click that item to highlight it, and then click OK.
  12. Wait for authentication to complete.
  13. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstall.

(Source)

• Step 3: Verify and Repair your Disk Permissions on the Mac:

1. Open Macintosh HD and go to Applications
  2. Go to the Utilities Folder
  3. Open the Disk Utility
  4. Select the Hard Drive volume you are using (usually on the left)
  5. Select Verify Disk Permissions
  6. Once that process is done, select Repair Disk Permissions

• Step 4: Manually install Driver Package:

Please click here to manually download the Apple Update package for HP Printer Drivers v3.1. Once the website opens select the Download button at the top. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the driver package.

• Step 5: Check for Apple Updates:

1. Go to Apple
  2. Select System Preferences
  3. Select Software Update
  4. Click Update Now
  5. Install your available updates
  6. Restart your computer

• Step 6: Add the Device:

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

3. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

4. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer,

5. Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Ensure that the PSC Photosmart driver is selected.

Image: Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

6. Click Add to add the printer to the list.

- Source

Once installed, please test printing to confirm that the issue has been resolved. Should printing now function correctly, the Apple Update driver likely became corrupted and was creating print issues.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. If this post helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos. I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
X-23
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,086 319 700
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Mozartian,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that your HP PSC 2510 Photosmart All-in-One Printer is experiencing issues when printing from your Mac OS X 10.7 computer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. The issue itself could be caused by one of two things: a driver conflict, or a USB connectivity issue. Due to the age of your printer HP did not release a downloadable Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer on Mac OS X 10.7. In fact, Full Feature drivers haven't been released for this model of printer since Mac OS X 10.5. Therefore, you are relying solely on an Apple Update V3.1 Driver package to use your printer on your Mac OS. Below, I will provide you with some standard Mac troubleshooting steps to resolve this printing issue. Can you please follow all of the steps below.

• Step 1: Reset the Print System:

To start, I am going to have you Reset the Print System on your Mac. Please click here for instructions on how to perform the Reset. When the website opens follow the steps under 'Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion.' This Reset will remove every printer from your Mac. However, it does not uninstall the printers. Therefore, should you use other printers on this Mac, once the Reset is complete simply ensure that the printers are connected via a USB Cable or Network connected and (+) Add them back in. Do not add your HP PSC Photosmart back in at this time.

Once the reset is complete, please proceed to the next step.

• Step 2: Uninstall Drivers and Software:

1. On the desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD icon If the Macintosh HD icon is not on the desktop, click the Finder icon in the Dock. Click on the Macintosh HD under Devices.
  2. Double-click the Library folder.
  3. Double-click the Printers folder.
  4. Right-click (or Ctrl +click) HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK.
  6. Wait for authentication to complete.
  7. Double-click the PPDs folder.
  8. Double-click the Contents folder.
  9. Double-click the Resources folder.
  10. Right-click (or Ctrl +click) the name of your printer in the product list, and select Move to Trash.
  11. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. By clicking OK, all items in your trash will be permanently deleted from your computer. To delete one item in the trash, click that item to highlight it, and then click OK.
  12. Wait for authentication to complete.
  13. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstall.

(Source)

• Step 3: Verify and Repair your Disk Permissions on the Mac:

1. Open Macintosh HD and go to Applications
  2. Go to the Utilities Folder
  3. Open the Disk Utility
  4. Select the Hard Drive volume you are using (usually on the left)
  5. Select Verify Disk Permissions
  6. Once that process is done, select Repair Disk Permissions

• Step 4: Manually install Driver Package:

Please click here to manually download the Apple Update package for HP Printer Drivers v3.1. Once the website opens select the Download button at the top. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the driver package.

• Step 5: Check for Apple Updates:

1. Go to Apple
  2. Select System Preferences
  3. Select Software Update
  4. Click Update Now
  5. Install your available updates
  6. Restart your computer

• Step 6: Add the Device:

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

3. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

4. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer,

5. Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Ensure that the PSC Photosmart driver is selected.

Image: Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

6. Click Add to add the printer to the list.

- Source

Once installed, please test printing to confirm that the issue has been resolved. Should printing now function correctly, the Apple Update driver likely became corrupted and was creating print issues.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. If this post helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos. I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation