cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Neil23
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 1 of 21
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Pavilion 11 x2 not booting from USB

HP Recommended

Hi I have problems due to a adware virus and need to reboot - cannot access after blue screen - how do I download an ISO image? As ISo suggests download tool which creates the ISO etc

I have used media creation tool but the usb isn't found - are any settings needing to be changed on computer in utilities? Just about the only thing I can access

It is an hp 110

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,581 12,366 1,296 4,145
Message 2 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Neil,

To clarify...

You are trying to reinstall Windows on an HP 110-210 desktop PC, correct?

What operating system is on it currently?

For the Pavilion X2, you say that the Media Creation Tool does not recognize your USB pen drive, correct?

What brand and size is the drive?    Is it a Sandisk drive by chance?

0 Kudos
Neil23
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 3 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Currently is windows 10 free upgrade from 8.1 I think - files and program's etc - I had a problem with malware and couldn't boot up without going to task manager and entering explorer.exe but at least was then working.... Changed settings to start on safe mode and now cannot start at all - if I could turn off safe mode from within computer it would prob start - am worried about losing all files and yes it is a Sandisk which has a micro adaptor that I can download ISO on to from tablet as well as usual usb
0 Kudos
Neil23
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 4 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ps should the windows 10 ISO be created by windows media creation tool or by using rufus which I have read elsewhere in this forum but now cannot find the thread... I have tried both
0 Kudos
Neil23
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 5 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Pps memory on usb is 64gb
0 Kudos
Neil23
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 6 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Pps memory on usb is 64gb and media creation tool recognises if fine and all seems to work - it is my desktop that doesn't seem to recognise it as being there BUT it is there as a boot option in utilities
0 Kudos
Neil23
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 7 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ps I assume this is a 64 and not 32
0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,581 12,366 1,296 4,145
Message 8 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, so you upgraded your HP 110-210 Desktop to Windows 10 64bit and you need to clean install it now to wipe the infection.

Use the Windows Media Creation tool.

You are creating a Windows installtion drive using a Sandisk Micro-SD card via an SD adapter plugged into a USB adapter?

IS this correct?

And the Media creation tool is installing the OS onto this drive, (are you sure)?

And the Desktop 110-210 is not booting from it even though it sees the drive in the bios?

I think this may be your problem.

Can you get a regular USB 2.0 thumb drive thats at least 8 GB to create the installation media onto?

Also, I recommend something other than Sandisk. Sandisk was having issues with the Media Creation Tool recognizing them properly.

=====

Or there may be one other thing to try to see if the system will boot from Micro SD...

Go into the bios and turn off Secure Boot (and turn on Legacy Boot if its also available).

Restart and see if your setup will boot from the drive. It may or may not work, but worth a shot.

0 Kudos
Neil23
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 9 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks I will try the legacy I am not wAnting a clean install but hopefully a repair
0 Kudos
Neil23
Author
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 10 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The usb is being created by a windows tablet which had a micro outlet hence a dual micro and normal usb drive
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation