cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tjrigs
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrade to 7 from Vista Business downgraded to XP

HP Recommended

I recently purchased a HP Compaq 8710w that came with Vista Business downgraded to XP Professional. I've ordered my upgrade kit, which I understand will require me to do a clean install. My question is, will I receive a retail copy of Windows 7, which includes both the 32-bit and 64-bit version, or will I receive only the 32-bit version? If I receive only the 32-bit version will it be specific to my serial number or will I be able to get on ebay and trade it for a 64-bit version?

It seems hardly fair that since I have to do a clean install no matter what, that I should be locked into the 32-bit version. As long as I'm doing a clean install, it seems like I should be able to upgrade it to 64-bit.

Thanks,

Tyler

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I believe you will get 32 bit by default, you can usually contact Microsoft directly and they will send you the 64 bit version as long as you have a valid product key.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

tjrigs
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks a lot. I'll look into that.
0 Kudos
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You're most welcome!

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

0 Kudos
tjrigs
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just to clarify...should I contact them after I receive my copy of the 32-bit version, or should I do this independent of what I've done with HP?
0 Kudos
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
After because you will need to provide them your product key.

tjrigs
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks...just wanted to check to make sure you didn't mean my HP Product Key.
0 Kudos
Adamtech
Level 8
1,230 1,227 80 219
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You're welcome. I am talking about your Windows 7 product key when it arrives.

0 Kudos
figsfollys
3 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have related question... Will I need to install or upgrade to  the vista first from xp then install win 7 ???

Thanks in advance!

Figgy

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation