Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a 5DQ99AA Pavilion 27 monitor. I am attempting to use the EliteBook 850 G5 Thunderbolt port to connect directly to the displays USB C DP port (E.g. USB-C to USB-C). This is not working with no video signal. Is that by design?

If this is not how the Displays USB-C DP port is suppose to work, what situation would call for actually using that port (E.g. what HP equipment actually support using that USB-C DP port on this monitor).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@EagleEye208 

The specs says

Support HD decode, DX12, HDMI 1.4b, HDCP 2.2 via HDMI/DisplayPort up to 4K @60 Hz
Both UMA and discrete configurations support three independent displays through docking stations as follows:

• HP Docking Station - maximum resolution = 2.5K @60Hz (DisplayPort 1) and 2.5K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2)
  • HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock - maximum resolution = 4K @60Hz (DP1) and 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2)
  • HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W or 230W G2 - maximum resolution = 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 1) and 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2) with Thunderbolt

Sounds like you need a middle man called docking station. My machine is an HP 840 G5 and it mates perfectly with my USB-C Gen 4 dock.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@EagleEye208 

The specs says

Support HD decode, DX12, HDMI 1.4b, HDCP 2.2 via HDMI/DisplayPort up to 4K @60 Hz
Both UMA and discrete configurations support three independent displays through docking stations as follows:

• HP Docking Station - maximum resolution = 2.5K @60Hz (DisplayPort 1) and 2.5K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2)
  • HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock - maximum resolution = 4K @60Hz (DP1) and 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2)
  • HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W or 230W G2 - maximum resolution = 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 1) and 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2) with Thunderbolt

Sounds like you need a middle man called docking station. My machine is an HP 840 G5 and it mates perfectly with my USB-C Gen 4 dock.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Sounds like you need a middle man called docking station.

Yeah it would appear so. Just seems odd that Mac computers have allowed Direct USB-C to USB-C from laptops to monitors this way since 2017, but HP still requires a Dock (upsell) to do the same thing *shrug*

I thank my lucky stars I didn't buy a E27U for this setup. That would have been an even more expensive monitor/laptop mismatch.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.