P-R-B
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Firmware updates for Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities

HP EliteBook 2530p Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Will HP provide firmware update for older Elitebook Products to Protect these from Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities?

Processor is

Mobile Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L9400 (Penryn)

and there should be a firmware release by Intel, see

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html

Any news will be appreciated

20 REPLIES 20
Level 19
Level 19
78,751 78,650 9,691 20,958
Message 2 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@P-R-B

You jump to the bandwagon too early.  I read an article yesterday (Thursday Jan 4, 2018)  which is NO GOOD for MANY Intel machines

http://au.pcmag.com/intel/51116/news/chip-design-flaw-not-limited-to-intel-researchers-say

We are talking about 10 years, still too early. All vendors have to take time to develop fix or fixes.

And fixes will probably slow machines down.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
M3nti0n
2 2 0 2
Message 3 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know if it's too early, even Dell has fixes for their latest and greatest laptops.

So i don't know why HP wouldnt be able to.

KNMB
Level 1
2 2 0 3
Message 4 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Poor response.

Lenovo already has their firmware release dates posted: https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/len-18282

Yes there will be performance impacts (most severely for Intel chips, which may improve slightly as fixes are refined), but leaving the vulnerability unpatched is unacceptable.

Highlighted
jpmackay1
Level 3
72 49 1 5
Message 5 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Gigabyte have their firmware release as well. Here is the link that I found from Majorgeeks.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gigabyte_intel_me_critical_fw_update_utility.html

I see that HP is slow to release the intel_me_critical_fw_update_utility. Hope that HP will release this very soon.

John

treysis
Level 3
43 38 0 2
Message 6 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel ME firmware update is NOT to protect from Spectre. Also, this check tool from Intel SA00086 DOES NOT check for Spectre. It's a totally different security vulnerability. However, it IS true that some manufacturers have already released BIOS updates to protect against Spectre attacks.

0 Kudos
jpmackay1
Level 3
72 49 1 5
Message 7 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Last week I did call the HP Support Desk about this and they seem to know nothing about this. And they said that the responsibility is in the hands of Intel who will provide the patch and Microsoft did release the latest update last week. I tried to explain to the gentleman more deeper and he kept saying it's nothing to do with HP. So that the end of story !!

John

0 Kudos
Fabtab
Level 2
10 8 1 0
Message 8 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm finding the Lack of info from HP to be shocking compaired to other Motherboard/PC manufacturers etc, I had my bios Microcode update on the 4th by Asus. Also the lack of updated drivers for this model X5X71EA is pretty rubbish too.

Did HP not get the Memo or something, after all this problem was being worked on behind the sceenes wasn't it.

IE It wasn't just known about, and looking at the FTP not a lot action has happened yet.

0 Kudos
M4nti0n
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 9 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

22 December I'd already install the working driver on my dell...
0 Kudos
jpmackay1
Level 3
72 49 1 5
Message 10 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

May I ask you what is the working driver to install on your Dell? If you give me the name of the working driver then I probably will ask HP Support about this to see if they know more about this.

John

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation