Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP USB-C Dock G4 (3FF69AA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a few issues with the HP USB-C Dock G4 (3FF69AA) product that I would like to share with HP and its community.

1. Minor issue: the dock reports itself as the HP Elite USB-C Dock. Also on the bottom of the device it is called the HP Elite USB-C Dock G4.  However in all product documentation it is referenced as HP USB-C Dock G4 (without the Elite). Since multiple types and generation of USB-C docks exist this makes it confusing.
  2. Major issue: the datasheet of the product (link) does not clearly specify what type of HP laptops are supported by the supplied USB-C cable. There is an advisory  about the "HP Elite USB-C Docking Station" but that document is, as stated on the advisory itself, only for the X7W54AA model.   
  3. Minor issue, but good news: the dock is recognized by the ProBook 640 G3 and the laptop is also charged through USB-C. Which makes the information in the advisory mentioned above questionable because it states this is not possible because of the design of the listed laptops.
  4. Major issue: the dock is not recognized fully by a HP EliteBook 840 G3 (L3C66AV). No charging/no display

Furthermore there is a product called "HP 4.5mm and USB Dock Adapter" with product number 2NA11AA.  It looks like a solution to use also the G4 dock with non-compatible laptops. However the compatibility of the 2NA11AA  with the  3FF69AA is not documented in its datasheet

It would certainly help me, and I assume others, if HP can supply compatibility information for the 3FF69AA.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

First lf all, i completely agree with you in regards to your point 1. HP dock naming conventions have been less than stellar, although we are attempting to develop better names for the product and the literature

point 2. The Elite USB-c dock G4 is the new version of the Windows 10 pass-though docking that provides usb 3.1 gen 2 PD (power delivery) to the laptop over the usb-c cable. Technical information on these usb-c docks are listed on the HP quickspecs sheet - http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04168358. Now, a datasheet would not be able to suggest all possible laptops that could be supported by this dock, as some could be used for docking port access but no power delivery, for example. also, the sheet would have to be constanly changed to reflect new devices coming to market, and it is very hard/resource intensive to test every potential device to make sure there are no hiccups along the way and document those. not an excuse, but an explanation

point 3. Any laptop, hybrid, or tablet that supports PD and usb 3.1 alt-mode should be supported by the dock as long as the power required is no more than what it can provide. HP x2 and x360 commercial laptops are supported, along probook 400 series g5, elitebook 1000 family (for the most part), and the newly announced elitebook 840 g5. i am certainly surprised that you mention the probook 640 g3 providing power by the dock over usb-c. the 640 g3 does NOT have power delivery technology in the usb-c implementation. that will be coming with the next gen, g4 model

point 4. the elitebook 840 g3, like the probook 640 g3 does not support usb 3.1 pd (power delivery) and therefore can not be charged over the usb-c port. neither can th eelitebook 840 g4. the newly announced, redesigned g5 will.

as a side note. hp introduced a usb-c universal dock that could be used with all the products mentioned below. this dock, also listed on http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04168358 has an optional adapter that provides a barrell connector/usb cable to support laptops that do not have usb PD support. it uses a single displaylink driver

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply and clarification.

• Point 1. Good to hear this is recognized.
  • Point 2.  In that case I think it makes sense to generalise the existing advisory that it also applies to the HP USB-C Dock G4 (3FF69AA) and not only for the X7W54AA model. 
  • Point 3. Since I did not test it myself, I will re-check if the ProBook 640 G3  is charging and let you know.
  • Point 4. Not only that the Elitebook 840G3 does not charge, but also that it cannot be used to connect additional displays through USB-C. Do you expect this will work on the G4 Dock by using the "HP 4.5mm and USB Dock Adapter". This because we want to limit the number of types of dock's in use  within the company and the adaptor can be bought seperately . 

Furthermore a few small suggestions to correct the documention : 

• The mentioned HP quickspecs sheet has a typo: it specifies that the HP USB-C Dock G4 package contains a "HP Elite USB-C Dock G3".
  • In the Data sheet  first paragraph incorrect footnote numbers are used. 

HP Recommended

point 4, yes the reason the dock is labelled as 'universal' is that it will support any device directly that has usb 3.1 PD (power delivery) support directly, but also, with the adapter, it will support other laptops by connecting the adapter's usb 3 and barrell connector to support docking and charging - 2 connections from adapter but still a single dock... and installing the displayport driver, of course

HP Recommended

Regarding point 3. You are correct. We tested again and the ProBook 640 and 650 G3 are NOT powered/charged through USB-C.

My question about point 4 remains unanswered. To clarify my question:

"Can we use the HP 4.5mm and USB Dock Adapter( 2NA11AA)  in combination with HP USB-C Dock G4 (3FF69AA) to charge the ProBook 640 and 650 G3, or do we have to use the HP USB-C Universal Dock (2UF95AA) for that."

HP Recommended

You can certainly give it a try. However, i understand the daapter was engineer to operate with the Universal dock, and may not work with the G4 dock. Sorry, about that

HP Recommended

To correct my earlier statement, the HP USB-C Dock G4 does not work with the Probook 640/650 G3 (no charging, no display).

For a list of supported products for this dock see the list as provided herehttp://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=3FF69AA&opt=ABU&sel=ACC

HP Recommended

I'll log this as a separate call but I have the same problem described here. We were using the HP Elite USB-C docking station that came with a USB-C-> A adapter and worked fine with our older laptops HP Probook 450 G2. These have gone end of life so we now have to purchase the new HP usb dock G4. It sees the dock i.e. keyboard, mouse, ethernet but NO external displays. This dock comes without a USB adapter cable so I've purchased one but still doesn't work. Not really too bothered about pass through power i.e. still use the OEM power adapter of the laptop but without external display it means it is useless with this dock

HP Recommended

The Elite USB-C G4 dock uses Windows 10 native drivers but is supported on systems with usb 3.1 power delivery (PD) and ALt-Mode (video passthrough) specs, like the new generation ProBook G5 series, or new EliteBook and other Probook models. your older Probook does not have those features. YOu should use the Elite USB-C Universal dock which uses DisplayLink technology and is supported on older systems via the usb-c to usb-a adapter.. power still has to come, in your case, from the laptops brick

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.