Level 3
25 14 2 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

How do you set OSK to automatically come up on Zbook X2 Windows 10

HP Recommended
ZBook X2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone know how to make the OnScreen Keyboard come up automatically when you click a text field/box while the BT keyboard is turned off? and how do you change the size of the keys and the layout style?

The OSK Im referring to (since there seems to be two) is the one you can acces by typing "osk" into the cortana search bar.

I have searched and Im not finding any answers for this unit. I had a Dell 2-in-1 that had to be manually set, but those options don't work for this device.

3 REPLIES 3
Z_ap
Level 3
Level 3
33 33 2 3
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the post and welcome to HP forum.

I understand you have settings issue with the OSK.

OSK.JPG.

Try this setting and check 

also from the taskbar > rightl click> Show touch KBD Buttons. 

I am an HP Employee

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.
0 Kudos
varxtis
Author
Level 3
25 14 2 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

There are actually two areas in settings related to the OSK -

Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard

This has the option you are referring to "Turns on the On-Screen Keyboard". This one is frustrating and confusing. When I have it set to "On", the OSK appears. But if I click the "x" to close the OSK, the setting automatically toggles back to "off". So "on" is very literal as it just pulls up, or opens, the OSK. I can only minimize it for it not to be in the way, but this takes up more space on the task bar. Not only does the OSK shortcut Icon appear next to the clock in the taskbar, but the OSK shows up as a minimized program in the taskbar just like Word, Photoshop, or any other program.

Settings > Devices > "Typing"

This one has the option "Show the touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and there's no keyboard attached", which I have set to on. But again, no change to my desired objective.

Regardless of these settings, The OSK still does NOT "AUTOMATICALLY" appear when I tap into a dialogue/text field. By dialogue/text field I mean any field where you can start typing. That means the Address/URL bar in a browser (regardless of Edge or firefox) search bars within the browser such as google search bar, or any other computer text field. This even includes Microsoft Word, windows Notepad, anything.

If I want to start typing in any fashion, I must bring the desired program to the fore, manually pull up the OSK, click in the field I wish to start typing, and THEN start typing. 

The closest thing to a "shortcut" ive found, without having the OSK taking up additional space on my taskbar, is to assign the OSK to one of the quickkeys. But to me, this is NOT a solution.

How do I make the OSK appear automatically when tapping into a dialogue/text field?

0 Kudos
TomasV
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

+1 Haveyou ever figure it out how to fix this issue? Clicking on the kbd buttonon the taskbar isbeyond annoying evry time you're trying to type, not to even mention that you can't use it on the administrator password prompts and etc. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation