Did you mean: 
megustahero
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Probook 430 G5 coil whine

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The high frequency of this laptop is killing me. It only stops under heavy load and I find this abnormal.

My desktop VGA card has this high pitch coil whine under heavy load, that's okay. But this is a laptop under no load, fan off and all I can hear is the noise.

Can't this be fixed with some updates? This laptop is really good in every other way.

Note: This is the second computer I have from this type, I had it changed out in the shop and the same noise is present.

9 REPLIES 9
megustahero
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had a firmwire update and the noise is much louder, wonderful. This is the business level category?

0 Kudos
Ken1943
Level 4
88 62 4 7
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am just a user. This noise under battery power or with charger or both. Are you sure the fan is off. If there is access

underneath can you open and further locate the sound. Could it be from the speakers, turn the sound off

KenW
megustahero
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

So further troubleshooting, I opened the maintenance hatch and listened to the laptop in every state(off, battery, AC), fan never turned on all this time.

DSC_0004 (1).JPG

What I could identify is that the noise is coming from the right side of the laptop and it can be heard even in off state(it's barely noticable), but with powering on it becomes louder.

It doesn't matter if I use it battery or AC, the sound is the same.

It's definitely not from the speakers.

If I begin to stress test the laptop with prime95 and/or Furmark for example, over 80-90% usage the noise fades, almost disappears(the fan also overlaps the sound now, but this is such a unique frequency that it cannot be mistaken for fan sound anyways).

I really belive this is the power supply circuitry of the CPU, because I noticed the sound changes frequency in pair with the CPU clock speed(I noticed this while the task manager was open, and this justifies that the frequency becomes more stagnant when it reaches the maximum of the CPU's clock speed).

0 Kudos
EddyK
Level 11
Level 11
2,953 2,888 392 1,257
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi megustahero,

Really nice diagnosis. I think I do agree with you - maybe an issue with the motherboard. 

How old is this laptop and what was the firmware update that increased the volume of the coil whine?

This could be from the CPU VRM.

But anyway this issue seems sorta unavoidable at the moment.

Hopefully you'll find a solution,

kem579

I am currently preoccupied with both academic and professional priorities so please note that there may be a delay in my responses. Thank you for your understanding.

You can show your appreciation for my post by clicking the blue thumbs up icon.
megustahero
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi kem579,

Thanks. Yes it's definitely the motherboard and specifically the CPU VRM as you stated.

This laptop is brand new(purchased in January and it's the second one producing the same issue) and the firmware update were the 01.02.03 JAN 22, 2018 one.

Seem unavoidable, but we're gonna make something out of it and this is the first and last purchase from HP.

0 Kudos
CliffWard
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just wondering if you got anywhere with this in the end? Just had a brand new one delivered. Day one and this is driving me insane!

Thanks,

Cliff

0 Kudos
nux72
2 2 0 1
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I've received mine last week.

Same issues as described at the begining of this thread. 

Still, my sample doesn't whine when it is completly off.

Such a letdown since there is no HDD inside and it sounds like it has a very noisy one. 

The whine definetly originates from the cpu area(coils, vrm's or capacitors).

The m.2 ssd is not the culprit. I would have been quite happy if that was the case since I could've just swapped it myself.

I'll probably send it to a HP service centre.

kvaps
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I have exactly same problem.

I can only add that noise is going down if cpu fan starting to work.
And starting again if fan is stops.

No way to repair by owns, returned it back.

0 Kudos
nux72
2 2 0 1
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've got it back from the service centre: Both the fan and the mainboard have been replaced.

Coil whine is still there. I couldn't notice any improvment in this department.

I would advise people that get bothered by coil whine to stay away from this particular model. 

I suspect that it is the gpu power delivery that whines, as the noise/frequency seems to change each time something gets drawn on the display. Besides this scraching, there is a constant high frequency buzz comming from the unit when it is powerd on.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation