cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LasseD
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Setting UEFI boot order with BCU doesn't stick on Probook 440 g3 with M.2 harddrive

HP Recommended
HP ProBook 440 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have 3000+ new computers to be set up with windows 10, and we need to change the boot order on these computers. To do this we use a script that calls BiosConfigUtility64.exe -s -f"<filename.txt>". This works fine on other settings (like LAN / WLAN Switching) but the boot order will not stick.

This is the output from the command:

Command used: BiosConfigUtility64.exe /set:"HP ProBook 440 G3.txt"

Result:

<BIOSCONFIG Version="4.0.15.1" Computername="MININT-E26EISQ" Date="2016/05/20" Time="10:33:15" UTC="-8">
<SETTING changeStatus="pass" name="UEFI Boot Order" reason="Success" returnCode="0">
<OLDVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:USB:1,HDD:SATA:1,NETWORK IPV4:EMBEDDED:1,NETWORK IPV6:EMBEDDED:1]]></OLDVALUE>
<NEWVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:SATA:1,NETWORK IPV4:EMBEDDED:1,NETWORK IPV6:EMBEDDED:1,HDD:USB:1]]></NEWVALUE>
</SETTING>
<SETTING changeStatus="pass" name="LAN / WLAN Auto Switching" reason="Success" returnCode="0">
<OLDVALUE><![CDATA[Disabled]]></OLDVALUE>
<NEWVALUE><![CDATA[Enabled]]></NEWVALUE>
</SETTING>
<SUCCESS msg="No errors occurred" />
<Information msg="BCU return value" real="0" translated="0" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

When the computer reboots it 'forgets' the settings for the boot order, and reverts back to defaults.

The computers are delivered with bios version 1.06, but upgrading to 1.11 brings no change.

I have seen on one occation that the boot order list was empty when I entered the bios GUI after changing the boot order. Could it be that because the computers are delivered with M.2 SSD drives the BCU reads the config wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
mplichta
Level 2
33 20 0 6
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will confirm this is still an issue with the Elitebook 840 G4's as well.  All of the G4's are running BIOS version 1.02 and the BCU version is the latest (4.0.21).

Here are some log excerpts from a test deployment of 7 laptops.  Some of them think the network adapters should be lsited, the others don't.  All of them are configured to disable pxe booting and usb booting.  I'll have to see if they have different network cards, but there doesn't seem to be any way to change the order.  All commands sent were obtained using the /get command from this BCU version.

2 Laptops prefer to not have the NETwork adapters listed in the boot order

<SETTING changeStatus="fail" name="UEFI Boot Order" reason="Invalid setting value" returnCode="21">
<OLDVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:SATA:1,HDD:USB:1]]></OLDVALUE>
<NEWVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:SATA:1,HDD:USB:1,NETWORK IPV4:EMBEDDED:1,NETWORK IPV6:EMBEDDED:1]]></NEWVALUE>
</SETTING>

<SETTING changeStatus="skip" name="UEFI Boot Order" reason="Setting is unchanged" returnCode="18">
<NEWVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:SATA:1,HDD:USB:1]]></NEWVALUE>
</SETTING>

The rest insist that they must be 

<SETTING changeStatus="fail" name="UEFI Boot Order" reason="Invalid setting value" returnCode="21">
<OLDVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:SATA:1,HDD:USB:1,NETWORK IPV4:EMBEDDED:1,NETWORK IPV6:EMBEDDED:1]]></OLDVALUE>
<NEWVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:SATA:1,HDD:USB:1]]></NEWVALUE>
</SETTING>

<SETTING changeStatus="skip" name="UEFI Boot Order" reason="Setting is unchanged" returnCode="18">

<NEWVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:SATA:1,HDD:USB:1,NETWORK IPV4:EMBEDDED:1,NETWORK IPV6:EMBEDDED:1]]></NEWVALUE>
</SETTING>

0 Kudos
Huub1
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same.problem. Same error description.

<BIOSCONFIG Version="" Computername="LB1606155" Date="2017/07/05" Time="09:12:08" UTC="2">
        <SUCCESS msg="Successfully read password from file" />
        <SUCCESS msg="Successfully modified Setup Password" />
                <OLDVALUE><![CDATA[UNKNOWN:EXPANSION,HDD:USB:1,NETWORK IPV4:EMBEDDED:1,NETWORK IPV6:EMBEDDED:1,HDD:SATA:1]]></OLDVALUE>
                <NEWVALUE><![CDATA[HDD:SATA:1,NETWORK IPV4:EMBEDDED:1,NETWORK IPV6:EMBEDDED:1,HDD:USB:1]]></NEWVALUE>
        </SETTING>
        <ERROR msg="An operation failed" />
        <ERROR msg="BCU return value" real="13" translated="13" />

After I removed the UEFI boot order from the repset  the errors disappear. Doesn't make sense. Maybe because it is TPM 2.0 in secure boot mode

0 Kudos
rteischl
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there any update to that issue? I can see the same problem with UEFI/SecureBoot and BootOrder on 820 G3 and 850 G3. It's pretty annoying, we can't disable IPV6 as boot device because of that.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation