Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I'm always attracted by the ads for Ryzen based HP laptops, but concerned over what I'm giving up for the same Intel I7 or I5.

John Purdy
Duluth, Georgia
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi Gunsmaoke (John).

The general consensus on the internet (and not only on this forum) is that AMD on a hardware level surpasses and outperforms Intel in every way (speed, low temperatures, stability) and at the best prices. So, why doesn't everyone switch to AMDs? Well, what (as you so eloquently put it) are giving up by turning your back on Intel CPUs, is the much better software support by the CPU and for the CPU. What I mean to say is that Intel chips are generally much more compatible with any kind of code and have better support (bios firmware, drivers) from laptop manufacturers than the AMD chips. Personally, for laptops I use for work related stuff, I never choose anything but Intel chips. If possible the vPro ones. Of course, this is bound to change since AMD CPUs are becoming more and more popular (and better) as we speak.

This is an interesting thread to read to get an idea of what I'm talking about: Intel vs AMD For Business Laptops (community spiceworks). In the end, I think it's just a matter of personal preference (depending on budget and intended use).....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.