Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook 17 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Who is right - who is wrong ... if any?!

I have a ProBook 470 G2 G6W69EA running Revit and Autocad Architecture, and it is not working to well.

So i am thinking of buying a ZBook 17 G3 instead, and when comparing the different specs, I came across this :

According to NVIDIA at http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-for-mobile-workstations.html  the Quadro M2000M is made for the 15,6" platform.

Among others, HP ZBook 17 G3 - T7V62EA#ABY is according to HP spec built with the Quadro M2000M, though it according to NVIDIA should be the M3000M when on a 17,3" platform.

Is that perticular ZBook proper built, or is it "money down the drain" not to go for something like the Y6J67EA  with Quadro M3000M instead?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is nothing wrong with the 17.3" and M2000M combination. 

The M2000M is adequate for most Revit and Autocad use.  Highly complex models might require addition graphics power, where intermittent 3D rendering or low complexity models may work fine with lower graphics power.

Windows 7 configurations are still offered because some large corporate installations have not standardized on Windows 10 yet.

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It's M3000M on ours, can also be configured with M4000

HP Recommended

Good question. HP qualifies a range of video graphics cards for both the ZBook 15 g3 and 17 g3. Some cards may be the same, but the 17 has more heat space to support higher-end video cards.

so, here are the optional cards available on both platforms

Zbook 15 G3NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 2GB GDDR5 Graphics
Zbook 15 G3NVIDIA Quadro M2000M Graphics
Zbook 15 G3AMD FirePro W5170M Graphics
Zbook 15 G3No DSC Graphics
Zbook 15 G3NVIDIA Quadro M600M Graphics
Zbook 17 G3NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 2GB GDDR5 Graphics
Zbook 17 G3NVIDIA Quadro M2000M Graphics
Zbook 17 G3NVIDIA Quadro M3000M Graphics
Zbook 17 G3NVIDIA Quadro M4000M Graphics
Zbook 17 G3NVIDIA Quadro M5000M Graphics
Zbook 17 G3No DSC Graphics
Zbook 17 G3AMD FirePro W6150M Graphics
I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

In addition to soccer_dan's response:

Graphics performance is primarily a function of display resolution and application being driven.  Performance is not a function of display size.  Selection process of the correct graphics processor might look like this:

1. Identify display resolutions being considered for both internal and external displays.  For HP 15 G3 and 17 G3, options range from FHD to UHD.

2. Identify applications to be used.

3. Examine application requirements based on number of displays and display resolutions.

4. Cross reference requirements to HP Mobile Workstation offerings.

5. Select HP Mobile Workstation product according to graphics processor availability, and then desired screen size.

I work for HP. All opinions and comments are my own.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

OK, so there is nothing wrong in combining the 17,3" and the M2000M.

-

As written I use Revit and Autocad Architecture, both 2d and 3D. Seldom generating 3d-rendering, but do not want it to be a pain when doing it!

I wont go for less than 17,3".:-)

I use the labtopmonitor with 2 screens, a Dell U2713HM and a 19" lowbudget screen.

Might replace the 19" for something like the Samsung U28E590D, so it will be great if that constalation is possible.

Do you recomend the labtop with M2000M og higher?

I can see they also come as Win7 Pro and Win 10 Pro. Why still downgrated to 7. Do you not recomend 10???

HP Recommended

I have the Zbook 15 G3 with a Zbook dock. I added an M2000M after the fact and it drives a 4k and an FHD external monitor. The M2000M is roughly equal to a GeForce 750ti, which is a medium gaming card so it has no issue with video editing and 3D modeling software. 

HP Recommended

There is nothing wrong with the 17.3" and M2000M combination. 

The M2000M is adequate for most Revit and Autocad use.  Highly complex models might require addition graphics power, where intermittent 3D rendering or low complexity models may work fine with lower graphics power.

Windows 7 configurations are still offered because some large corporate installations have not standardized on Windows 10 yet.

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.