Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys! 

I'm using Zbook G3 and HP Thunderbolt G2 230W dock.

So. I upgraded M4000M MXM card to P4200 and it works fine on build-in display and via internal HDMI 1.4 port.

If I try to connect external display to DP ports on the Dock, then system will freeze (or will work veery slow). The first step of initialization the external display is ok - I can see my display on windows. So EDID read correctly, but I still see black screen on the display. The same story with the VGA port on the Dock.

If I disable P4200 in Windows (or don't install the Invidia driver) the DP ports will work correctly.

So the problem with video transport from P4200 to Thunderbolt ports.

I tried different Windows versions, different Intel video drivers and Nvidia drivers.

I tried to upgrade Zbook's BIOS and Dock firmware, videocard firmware.

Also I tried with Apple Thunderbolt to DP adapter - the same result.

And I tried with Ubuntu - the same result after installing Nvidia drivers.

It seems like the problem on the BIOS level  or some hardcode in drivers,

Considering that the HDMI on the laptop is 1.4 version I'm very disappointed with this situation.

Of course, I understand that this is an unsupported video card, but now everyone is very proud of the preservation of the environment and the maintainability of their equipment.
New video cards come out every 2 years, why do I need to change my laptop every two years for this?

Is there any solution for my case?
I need to connect 4K monitors to the docking station for work, but I also I need more powerful graphics.
Surely it will be enough for me to change some variable in one of the video drivers.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I thought that disabling Nvidia was a good solution, but digital audio is tied to Nvidia. I can't get sound through DisplayPort/HDMI if Nvidia is disabled.
Sadly.

HP Recommended

HI , ive planning to upgrade to p3200, the driver was needed to inf modded or it goes up without any problem?

HP Recommended

Yes, you need to patch INF.

This is due to the fact that in addition to VEN and DEV, SUBSYS is indicated for mobile video cards. The laptop manufacturer "signs" only those video card models that are used in a particular laptop model. The manufacturer needs to somehow sell a new laptop that is +10% more productive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.