Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook Fury 15 G8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I want to use the Thunderbolt Dock 230W G2 with my new ZBook Fury 15 G8 .

The ZBook does not recognize the docking station. I have this issue under windows 10 and linux.

After some time searching on the internet I found some posts that describe, that the "secure connect" thunderbolt setting in the BIOS causes this issue. While this research I found some answers on the ubuntu stack exchange and so on with some ZBooks from G1 to G6.

I tried to solve this issue by changing the secure connect policy, but the BIOS of the ZBook G8 does not have this option. I can only toggle the thunderbolt activity and set the preboot DMA protection.

Can anyone give me a hint on what to do next?

Greetings jpotyka

Edit:

The ZBook charges with the dock and can be turned on with the button on the dock.

When I plug the thunderbolt cable of the dock into my phone, I can use it as host. The phone can use the usb keyboard and mouse over the dock.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@jpotyka 

HP Thunderbolt™ Dock 230W G2 is compatible with the following machines.

HP ZBook 15/17 G3, G4, G5,
HP ZBook Studio G3, G4, G5, G7
HP ZBook x2 G4
HP ZBook 14u/15u G5, G6
HP ZBook Create G7
HP ZBook Fury15/17 G7
HP ZBook Power G7
HP EliteBook 800/700 G5, G6, G7, G8
HP ZHAN 99 G2 Mobile Workstation

HP Thunderbolt™ Dock w/Combo Cable (This dock comes with 230W power) is compatible with the following machines

HP Elite x2 1012 G1, G2, G4
HP Elite x2 1013 G1, G4
HP Pro x2 612 G2
HP EliteBook Folio G1
HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2, G3, G4, G7
HP EliteBook x360 1040 G5, G6, G7
HP Elitebook 1020 G2
HP EliteBook 1040 G4
HP EliteBook 1030 G4
HP EliteBook 800 series G5, G6, G7, G8
HP EliteBook HC G5, G6
HP EliteBook x360 830 G6, G7
HP EliteBook 700 series G5, G6
HP ProBook 640 G4, G5, G7
HP ProBook 645 G4
HP ProBook 650 G5, G7, G8
HP ProBook 400 series G5, G6, G7
HP ProBook x360 435 G7
HP ZBook x2 G4
HP ZBook 14u G1, G5
HP ZBook 15u G3, G5, G7
HP ZBook Firefly 14 G7, G8
HP ZBook Firefly 15 G7, G8
HP Zbook 17 G3
HP ZHAN 66 Pro series G1, G2, G3, G4
HP ZHAN Pro 13, 14, 15 G2
HP ZAHN X13 G2
HP ZBook 15 G3, G4, G5, G6
HP ZBook 17 G4, G5, G6
HP ZBook Power G7
HP ZBook Fury 15 G7
HP ZBook Fury 17 G7
HP ZBook Studio x360 G5
HP ZBook Studio G3, G4, G7
HP ZBook X2 G4
HP ZBook Create G7
HP ZHAN 99 G2 Mobile Workstation

Is your machine on the lists ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello thank you for your answer and help.

No my laptop is not specified in the list. However, in the list is the ZBook Fury 15 G7. The G7 and G8 is not much different, so I think it is more a software problem of the ZBook BIOS.

HP also states in the ZBook Fury 15 G8 datasheet that docking stations are supported.

See here: https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c07606964

Since the ZBook is a workstation, I need the docking station, how else am I supposed to work?

Greetings jpotyka

HP Recommended

@jpotyka wrote:

.... No my laptop is not specified in the list. However, in the list is the ZBook Fury 15 G7. The G7 and G8 is not much different, so I think it is more a software problem of the ZBook BIOS ...

@jpotyka 

Agreed. As you mentioned above: "The ZBook charges with the dock and can be turned on with the button on the dock." that means they are working together.

Have you try this

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06383177

If not in BIOS then you have to wait for next release.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Have you try this

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06383177

If not in BIOS then you have to wait for next release.

Yes I found this post before asking here. But this option is not in the current BIOS of the ZBook G8.

The datasheet states, that you can use this dockingstation with the ZBook, so why the required option in the BIOS is missing...
Or is there an other way to get it working ... ?

HP Recommended

@jpotyka 

It works, you can "The ZBook charges with the dock and can be turned on with the button on the dock.". Which part(s) is/are  missing ?

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hello

for sure this TBDock G2 is supported by Zbook Fury G8 , but reading you post , I don't understand which part of the docking in not working with yout Zbook Fury G8.

In the BIOS of G8 Zbook the Thunderbolt security settings available on previous Zbook and Elitebook G7 and below, are not there anymore as the security is managed by Windows 10 and DMA protection in HP BIOS.

bye

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answers.

I tried to use the TB dock out of the box as my ZBook was delivered. But only the charging and the power button on the dock works. The Thunderbolt-Software on windows does not recognize the dock.

After some try and error I discovered, that if I disable "Advanced > Thunderbolt Options > Thunderbolt-Mode" in the BIOS, the dock will be detected (as USB 3 device I think, not in the Thunderbolt-Software) and works. I can use all features, usb hub, displayports, sound, ethernet, etc. but no thunderbolt.

But the dock is a thunderbolt dock, so I would like to use it over thunderbolt...

Any hints how to proceed?

Greetings jpotyka

HP Recommended

@jpotyka wrote:

... I can use all features, usb hub, displayports, sound, ethernet, etc. but no thunderbolt.

@jpotyka 

I'm using USB-C dock, you can check Device Manager to see what it is, for example

dock dm.png

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.