Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook G5 Mobile workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I have problem I've accidentally updated my bios to the latest one. But I need to revert it back to 01.07.01 Rev.A

Unfortunately It's writes "Bios Update did not proceed because the system administrator has locked the BIOS version.

In bios there is no restrictions to revert of bios and I did it in past once without problems.

In descriptions of new bios currently installed is written:

NOTE: After this update is run and HP Sure Admin is enabled, the system will not be compatible with older BIOS versions. Attempts to install older BIOS versions will be blocked.

Does this means I would not be able to revert this bios back? (Its strange in scope that If I attempt to update bios directly from BIOS it's says That there is important update (Rollback) to 01.12.01 but this cannot be installed as well .

Please help me is there any chance to for example disable HP Sure Admin and rollback bios to 01.07.01 Rev.A?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

there are 2 separate issues with your comments

1. certain BIOS releases will prevent a rollback due to fixes to severe critical vulnerabilities in the UEFI code or Intel ME code that have been addressed. There is no way of going back from that. since you updated the BIOS, there seems to be no BIOS setup passwords involved, so that should not be an issue

2. HP Sure Admin is new security technology that HP has developed to protect the BIOS from changes by unauthorized users. It requires the use of certificates and specific configuration that i would be guessing has not been done on your zbook... the message from the BIOS is generic suggesting that if you are using Sure Admin to protect the BIOS, then a rollback could not be done without a lot of work... you can read more about Sure Admin at the blog: https://developers.hp.com/hp-client-management/blog/secure-bios-hp-sure-admin-and-cmsl

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your feedback first of all I am not sure if those issues are separate.. Please take a look into bios 01.14.01 Rev.A notes:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-15-g5-mobile-workstation/18865644?ssfFlag=...

Right from that, I've got impression that those issues are related otherwise I would never wrote it.

So you think disabling HP sure Admin wont help me with rollback of bios? I cannot tell if its actually active on my system. I there an simple solution how to check it?

What are other options to rollback, if it's really not possible from software point of view?

What about motherboard replacement?

HP Recommended

So my case is finished.

Solution for me was replace motherboard with lower bios (in my case 01.10.01) from which you can downgrade to 01.07.01.

Finally I have again piece of HW for which I've payed for! No offence HP (my issue was combined with other issue which needed replacement of motherboard.) 

We all know that Intel is that bad guy, which you are supporting as you have to.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.