Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody, I have few questions as following and appreciate a lot if I get right answers, I think it would be a useful topic for most of people who using HP-Z440 or Z640 and Z840.

1- In order to upgrade Z turbo m2 G2 on mentioned models, could we replace the existing SSD M2 in the ZTurbo Adapter  with a new NVMe SSD model? Ideally looking at something like a 1TB Samsung 970 Pro or even higher one Like HP 1TB SSD M.2 EX950.

2- If so, is there any list of compatible NVMe ssd?

3- Anything else that we should consider?

Thanks for your time.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

the z840 and newer models fully support NVME and the older SATA/ PCI-E AHCI protocols for booting a storage device

the HP "Z"  turbo card is the exact same card for the samsung sm951 AHCI model, and the sm951 NVME model only the installed SSD differs this card will only work on select HP workstations due to how HP made the card

the HP card does not care about the installed SSD as long as it's x4 PCI-AHCI or nvme  2240 2260 or 2280 form factor it does not support SATA ssd's

any 3rd party  x4 nvme can be used in HP workstations although cheap no name cards may have issues related to quality of components used including poor soldering of the attached parts

Best SSD is a subjective decision as the selected specifications  will decide which ssd meets the desired criteria this includes speed,  capacity,  form factor, price, write endurance, availability

the HP ex950 is a poor choice match for a workstation as it's intended market is the consumer low to midrange market , and it achieves it's price point by being a dramless ssd design using TLC nand

all HP certified ssd's for the z840 are MLC nand and are high end performance models

for non business usage in the m.2 format, a samsung "PRO' model (not EVO) such as the 970 pro will most likely work fine  for most home users that require reliability and performance

HP Recommended

Thanks Dgroves for all your advises. 

Just one more question, can I use Samsung 980 pro -PCie 4.0? seems much faster then 970pro, it has a big file transfers, with its maximum rated throughput of 7,000MBps.

HP Recommended

is the z840 a PCI-E 4.0 based system? (Answer,.....no it isn't)

so you should be able to figure out the answer to your question as it's gotten a lot of coverage on the internet,  any search engine will provide numerous links covering this subject

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+i+use+a+pcie+4+ssd+on+a+pcie+3+system&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS909US909&o...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.