Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 250 G3 Notebook PC

After updating the Bios to version F.49, I cannot enter the Bios settings and the system does not see boot devices. The built-in utility (win + B) sees only the latest version on the flash drive. How can I install the previous bios version?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@matuhov-ae wrote:

After updating the Bios to version F.49, I cannot enter the Bios settings 

Is it asking for a BIOS password?

The built-in utility (win + B) sees only the latest version on the flash drive. How can I install the previous bios version?

Remove the flash drive and try the Win + B.  If you have the original laptop drive then it will look in the HP recovery partition for older BIOS.

If you replace the hard drive then it is likely there are no backups unless the old hard drive was exactly cloned to the replacement.

I downloaded the F.41 bios from here It was the oldest one but you could pick a newer one

After downloading, select the 3rd option which copies the bios files to another flash drive.  There will be 8 files but only 4 bios images

220D

220F

226C

I suspect only one of those is correct.  When you run the WIN+B hopefully your laptop will know which of those is the correct one.  It is possible that installing the wrong one may cause the laptop to stop responding.

You may want to contact support

https://www.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Was there a problem with your laptop that you tried to fix by updating the bios?

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. The question is not about the password. After updating the Bios, at boot, when I press the F10 key, I see a black screen and nothing else. I can't enter the Bios settings. If I update the Bios from a USB stick, then the utility only works with the latest version, but the latest version of the Bios does not work. If I create a flash drive with an older version of the Bios, then at startup after pressing win + B, the CapsLock starts flashing and nothing happens

HP Recommended

@matuhov-ae wrote:

If I update the Bios from a USB stick, then the utility only works with the latest version, but the latest version of the Bios does not work. If I create a flash drive with an older version of the Bios, then at startup after pressing win + B, the CapsLock starts flashing and nothing happens

What do you see on the screen when you  have the latest bios in the flash drive and press the WIN + B key?  Are all 4 of the possible bios listed or just one?  I assume you can see something. 

If you press ESC can you run the HP diagnostics?

You might try an external monitor or type your PIN or password, press return, and listen for the windows TaDa.  Replacement motherboards, G3 250, are under $50  USD on ebay but you will need to match the exact board part number.

HP Recommended

After pressing win + B and turning on the power, the Bios update begins. There is no choice on the screen. If I press Esc at startup, diagnostics starts, but there is an option to diagnose the hard disk and RAM. Nothing else.

HP Recommended

@matuhov-ae wrote:

After pressing win + B and turning on the power, the Bios update begins. There is no choice on the screen. If I press Esc at startup, diagnostics starts, but there is an option to diagnose the hard disk and RAM. Nothing else.

Can you pass the ram and disk drive tests?

If the tests are all good then I am guessing the bios is badly corrupted.  You can try taking it to a local shop but I suspect the fee to examine the laptop is more than the replacement cost of a used motherboard (about 30 $)

HP Recommended

I was able to install Windows 8.1 using a UEFI flash drive. Can I install an older bios firmware from under Windows? When I try to install an older version, the Update button is not active in the installer.

HP Recommended

@matuhov-ae wrote:

I was able to install Windows 8.1 using a UEFI flash drive. Can I install an older bios firmware from under Windows? 

If you were able to install windows then I suspect the BIOS is working.  It is possible that pressing F10 is  not working as there is only a windows of a second or less where the laptop is looking for that key to be pressed. ***

l just looked at the 250 G3 software updates and did NOT see the following SSIDs listed.

220D

220F

226C

I assume I was mistaken or looked up the wrong laptop earlier.  In any event, there are two bios recommended for Windows 8.1

BeemerBiker_0-1692798595768.png

The bios F.49 is also recommended for windows 10.  The revision history for F.49 goes back several years and there is no  indication an older bios cannot be installed.  If you bought the laptop ion 2018, I would NOT install any BIOS dated 2017 or earlier.

Is there a reason you installed windows 8.1 instead of 10?   The upgrade to 10 is still free and all you need is the key code from 8.1 to activate 10.

***  If you wait too long to press F10 then you have to power off the laptop and try again.  CTRL-ALT-DEL does not work nor a reset, must actually power off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.