Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation

I know, I know... that was unwise of me, but trying to remove the CMOS battery from the board of my Z4 G4, I didn't realize there was a release button, I forced the battery and ended up ripping the holder off the board.

The PC works without the battery, only when I unplug the power cord, it takes longer to start and I get a warning that system time is invalid, etc. But I would like to fix it.

I called HP, they would not repair it, the only solution they give me is to replace the motherboard ($$$) = discarded.

At my local computer shop they wouldn't solder a new battery holder on the MB, they offer to solder an external holder with cables. A valid yet shoddy solution.

Do you think it is viable to resolder a generic battery holder (I am unable to find the original one sold as a part)? Or the only solution is an external holder?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

One other option would be to get a used motherboard, costing under 100.00 USD if buying from US eBay. That entails some risk too and the hassle of doing the transplant.

The battery is just a + and  - contact and having leads inside the case should be no problem with some zip ties. I'd personally go for the computer shop's idea and get some good industrial strength velcro to mount it inside the case. Consider that a "ghetto mod" and be proud of it.

HP Recommended

Hi SDH,

thanks for your reply.

I was considering that option too. Thing is I am in Europe and with shipping costs and import taxes, the final price increases quite a bit.

I found several videos on YouTube showing that it is possible to resolder the holder and it doesn't seem difficult (for someone who knows what they are doing...). E.g:

"Ghetto mod" you say? Lol. That would be the worst ghetto mod I've ever seen, tbh, not something to be proud of, but it is an option. The "problem" with the external holder is that if/when I decide to sell the PC, it will lower its value, regardless of the fact that it does not affect its operation or performance.

I'll send the motherboard to a friend of mine who is very good at soldering and see if he can resolder the holder. If the repair fails, I'd have no other option but to buy an used MB...

Will report back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.