3 2 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Elitebook 745 G5 (Ryzen 5): Linux does not boot

Elitebook 745, Generation 5
Linux

Dear all,

since I was asked to repeat my question in the HP Business Forum, I would like to kindly ask you here for some help:
https://h30492.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Betriebssysteme-und-Software/Elitebook-745-G5-Ryzen-5-Linux-d...

I recently I bought an Elitebook 745 G5 with a Ryzen 5 2500U and FreeDOS configuration, but unfortunately I can not get this Laptop to boot any contemporary Linux distribution. I modified the Laptop and replaced the 250 GB SSD with a 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO, but I would assume that this is not the cause of the problem, since other people already reported similar problems like the ones I am facing:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Linux-installation-on-HP-EliteB...

https://forum.ubook.at/thread/3954-hp-elitebook-745-und-linux/?postID=36122#post36122

So basically, I can only install and boot Debian 9.5 stable, which contains an outdated Linux kernel which does not recognize the Vega graphics chip (and other components).  Debian testing (Buster release) with a newer kernel would alleviate the problem, but as soon as I navigate through its installer's menu the process freezes. Same thing applies to the installer of Manjaro Linux, which does not even boot into its live system.

I tried to circumvent the problem by the proposed downgrading fix (from 01.03.01 Rev.A down to 01.00.04 Rev.A), but I still end up with frozen installer menues. I played around with the Secure Boot and UEFI options, which would not help either (disabling Secure Boot and enabling UEFI). Basically I used the same Bios settings (factory default) to install Debian 9.5 and the other distributions - Debian 9.5 worked and the others did not.

It would be nice to provide a firmware update, which fixes these issues (in a more reproducible way, since 1 out of 10 successful boots as stated by the previous fix is not acceptable). Obviously it is a widespread problem, which in my case prevents me from using the Laptop in any productive way. Can you please inform me (and the others) about any intended upcoming upgrades, else I would see myself urged to return the device since it is not usable. Frankly speaking, I think the layout of the Laptop is well considered and it would be a pity to actually be forced to return the device.

Thank you for your assistance and best regards!
Hannes

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2472 2468 220 500
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

this is most likely a Linux OS related issue with the ryzen cpu's and the Elite book hardware since the laptop works fine with windows

you will be better served posting on the Linux distro website for the build of linux you wish to use as this forum is mostly for windows users

i suspect the issue you are having will be resolved sometime soon as the ryzen chips are quite popular and the HP elitebook is also a popular product with  users

0 Kudos
User4357 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply! Frankly speaking, I was expecting that a FreeDOS model of a Business Laptop by HP would be capable of running a contemporary Linux distro. What else would be the point of advertising a FreeDOS configuration of this laptop in the first place?
What I read was, that besides Debian (testing) and Manjaro Linux, also the recent Ubuntu fails to boot. I am okay with waiting for some bugfixes and in the meantime I will simply stick to Debian stable. Just wanted to make sure that HP Tech Support knows about this problem and investigates it properly... And yes, I will also post this problem in the community forums of Manjaro and Debian.  Please keep us posted.

User4357 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 2
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I would have liked to see a more enthusiastic reply from HP Business Customer's care...
Anyhow, I could solve the problem, which is primarily due to some unresolved kernel bug:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201291

First, I updated to the most recent firmware version for this notebook: 01.04.01 Rev.A  (probably not necessary, but I wanted to stick to the latest release). I could install Manjaro Linux by appending the kernel boot parameters iommu=pt and mce=off to GRUB. This should also work other distributions with Linux kernel >4.10. After installation, the same parameters needed to be specified to successfully boot the system. For infos -> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_parameters

Nevertheless, you did a good job on this Laptop, even though the battery lifetime could be a bit better...

Cheers! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation