Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G4
Linux

Hi, I have an EliteDesk 800 G4 equipped with a i7-8700 CPU, that is used for long compilation jobs (like Android system images).

When I start the compilation jobs, CPU temperature quickly raises above 80°C, then the fans kick in.

Unfortunately, it seems the fans don't blow fast enough ou long enough, and what happens next is that the cores frequency drop to an average of 3.7 GHz, whereas it should be able to stay at around 4.3 GHz, when all cores are loaded.

And when disabling hyperthreading, the system only managed to keep running at 4.0 GHz.

I've looked at the firmware config menu, and it seems the only available option present allows to make the fans run faster during idle times, and there is no option to change the fan behaviour under high load or temperature.

Also, the lm-sensors package was unable to pick up any fan related sensor or control.

Did I miss something ? Or is there really no way to make the system behave better, like for example setting a lower temperature trigger or target ?

Best regards,

Alex

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.