Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone.

First of all I would like to say my knowledge of graphics cards is extremely limited so if you would be so kind as to explain things to me step-by-step. Thanks :smileyhappy:

So I bought a Z1 - Model WM427EA#ABU - and having already upgraded the RAM I would like to upgrade the graphics card because as far as I know the one shipped with my model is completely s*** the graphics on borderlands (the game) look awful on my Z1 and brilliant on my mates new Vaio all in one. I have played with the graphics settings in-game to no avail.

I looked inside the Z1 and couldn't find anything that looks like a graphics card. I have looked at other models - the one with the quadro 4000 - and they appear to have a black box one in on the left hand side whereas mine just has an empty space :s. According to most sites I have a      "Intel HD Graphics 2000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology"  controller/card.

Would it be possible for me to say buy a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+680&id=41)  and stick it in my machine? I have noticed that it has housing as if it were to go in a tower. Would I have to locate and remove the original graphics controller/card before I could install this one?

I really hope HP havnt made it so its only compatible with certain cards. That would sort of defeat the object of the machine being easily upgradeable.....

Any help appreciated, Many Thanks

Chris

p.s you can get the specs at

http://www.equanet.co.uk/catalogue/item/it-equipment/Computers/Computer-Workstations/HP-Workstation-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Make sure it's the Xeon E3-1245v2 if you intend on doing this (noting the "v2" at the end)

This is a newer architecture than the E3-1245 ("v1" if you will) and the v2 has a significant upgrade to graphics capabilities over the older model, will perform slightly better for CPU bound tasks as well. It should run cooler and quieter too, as an added bonus. It shouldn't cost any more than a v1 either.

You can buy CPUs either in a retail package or OEM (just the bare CPU). You get a heatsink with the retail package, but you won't be using it. There's not typically a big cost difference between the two though, perhaps only a few £/$ extra for the retail box. I tend to shy away from ebay unless I can't avoid it (like with the MXM cards). You won't have any problems finding a 1245v2 in stock from multiple reputable vendors and potentially get a better deal than on ebay too.

Replacing the CPU isn't too difficult a task, but I'd recommend checking out a few guides before having a try yourself - I won't delve in to details here about a generic CPU swap as there's nothing I can say that google or youtube won't tell you 10 times over.

There's nothing particularly unique about replacing the CPU in the Z. The cooler is attached with a few screws, and simply lifts off once they're free (and the blowers are unplugged from the motherboard).

Once it's off, clean off the bottom using something that won't leave a residue (e.g. not something like nail polish remover with fragrances etc. I use Akasa TIM cleaner and it works very well). Unclip and open the retaining mechanism around the CPU, pop in the new CPU carefully, noting the location of the arrow in the corner of the CPU lines up to the arrow on the CPU socket. Re-engage the retaining clip and then apply some thermal grease directly to the CPU (There are a lot on the market, I use Arctic Silver 5). Be careful not to apply too much grease, you're going for a very thin coating, best youtube this one for tecnique.

Then all that's left is to replace the cooler (making sure to remember to plug it back in), close the PC and fire it up.

EDIT: One more thing - update your BIOS to the latest version before you swap the CPUs, it might not boot up with the E3-1245v2 with an earlier BIOS, which would give you a nice "Uh Oh" moment, before realising that you have to un-swap and then re-swap the CPUs agian.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

There are a few users here looking at the possibilities of upgrading the Z1 GPU at the moment, myself included.

The expansion capabilities in the Z1 for graphics are via a MXM 3.0 slot (type A or Type B depending on the card), which is traditionally used for laptops.

Whether a non-supported card would work is still an unknown, so at the moment your only option is to have a go and try it out yourself. You won't find MXM cards at your typical PC shops - ebay seems to have most options.

A Geforce 675MX, 680M or 680MX would give performance approaching (and with the 680MX, near-equalling) the desktop GTX680 card. Users have contacted HP for advice and have heard nothing that would suggest that a non-supported card would not work at all, such as a custom GPU BIOS or anything on in the system that validates a restricted list of GPUs, however this as yet remains untested to my knowledge.

You would also need to source a cooler - Mid-range cards and upwards are all likely to be a MXM 3.0 Type B card, which requires the type B GPU cooler (HP Part number 682305-001).

If you're not looking to go off-piste with the GPU (or it turns out that for whatever reason, only the OEM HP cards work), then you can look at sourcing a Quadro K4000M, which is the highest performing card that's supported by HP (roughly equalling a 670MX/675MX), however it's clearly going to be significantly more expensive than the DIY route.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help!

Graphics cards are one of the many things i have very little knowledge of regarding PC's.

If you eventually find a card that you can fit into your machine would you let me know?

Thanks again

Chris

HP Recommended

To be clear, Chris, the cards for the Z1 are of HP proprietary design and there is no question of finding something else that will conveniently just fit anyway.

What we are talking about here is buying some HP replacement parts and making up a pseudo HP card by putting another board into the HP replacement housing.  Although this doesn't appear too tricky, it's more than your normal PC upgrade.

And there is risk that it won't work at all, will not work properly, will overheat, not control the fan appropriately or whatever.

The safe option is to buy an HP Quadro graphics card, but to get one with decent gaming performance, likely it will cost nigh on as much as your Z1 did.

I just thought of something else though: You could replace your processor with a Xeon E3-1245.  Not only is that much, much faster than an i3, it also has embedded HD4000 graphics instead of HD2000 in the i3.  Although not as good as a decent dedicated graphics card, HD4000 is ****WAY**** better than HD2000.  A processor replacement / upgrade is dead easy and not that expensive.  And you could eBay off the i3 for a few bob.

HP Recommended

Hi Chippy_boy.

Thank You for your information.

Do you think eBay is a safe bet for buying the Xeon E3-1245? Or do you think I should go to a reputable company?

How easy is easy to replace the processor?

Thanks again.

Chris

HP Recommended

Make sure it's the Xeon E3-1245v2 if you intend on doing this (noting the "v2" at the end)

This is a newer architecture than the E3-1245 ("v1" if you will) and the v2 has a significant upgrade to graphics capabilities over the older model, will perform slightly better for CPU bound tasks as well. It should run cooler and quieter too, as an added bonus. It shouldn't cost any more than a v1 either.

You can buy CPUs either in a retail package or OEM (just the bare CPU). You get a heatsink with the retail package, but you won't be using it. There's not typically a big cost difference between the two though, perhaps only a few £/$ extra for the retail box. I tend to shy away from ebay unless I can't avoid it (like with the MXM cards). You won't have any problems finding a 1245v2 in stock from multiple reputable vendors and potentially get a better deal than on ebay too.

Replacing the CPU isn't too difficult a task, but I'd recommend checking out a few guides before having a try yourself - I won't delve in to details here about a generic CPU swap as there's nothing I can say that google or youtube won't tell you 10 times over.

There's nothing particularly unique about replacing the CPU in the Z. The cooler is attached with a few screws, and simply lifts off once they're free (and the blowers are unplugged from the motherboard).

Once it's off, clean off the bottom using something that won't leave a residue (e.g. not something like nail polish remover with fragrances etc. I use Akasa TIM cleaner and it works very well). Unclip and open the retaining mechanism around the CPU, pop in the new CPU carefully, noting the location of the arrow in the corner of the CPU lines up to the arrow on the CPU socket. Re-engage the retaining clip and then apply some thermal grease directly to the CPU (There are a lot on the market, I use Arctic Silver 5). Be careful not to apply too much grease, you're going for a very thin coating, best youtube this one for tecnique.

Then all that's left is to replace the cooler (making sure to remember to plug it back in), close the PC and fire it up.

EDIT: One more thing - update your BIOS to the latest version before you swap the CPUs, it might not boot up with the E3-1245v2 with an earlier BIOS, which would give you a nice "Uh Oh" moment, before realising that you have to un-swap and then re-swap the CPUs agian.

HP Recommended

Hi MisterTad

I have heeded your warning regarding ebay. I have compared both the processor you said and the processor I currently have. You can see the comparison by following this link:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65729,53426

The one thing I noted is the new processor appears to take RAM with a slightly higher BUS Speed than what I have installed at the moment. I have the "8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=9 • Dual Ranked • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 512Meg x 72" from crucial: 

(The link was edited by moderator - it is not allowed to promote any paid site in forums.)

Would the RAM I already have work with the Xeon E3-1245v2?

Apologies for 100 questions.

Many Thanks

Chris.

HP Recommended

The RAM will be fine - The 1245v2 will run your RAM at the highest speed it supports (1600MHz), whereas your current i3 is running it slightly under that  (1333MHz).

HP Recommended

I have decided to go for the processor option for now as it is cheaper (I have found one for £198.00). I shall google/youtube for guides on how to swap CPU's. I upgraded the BIOS yesterday so it should support the new CPU. 

I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your kind help

Chris

HP Recommended

following thread.  i want to upgrade the graphics card was well.  can you get the same benefit by changing to an i7 processor or os the xenon specific for improving graphics as on onboard upgrade

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.