Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z230
Linux

I have a HP Z230 workstation with Ubuntu 14.04. I once upgraded this OS to Ubuntu 15 and the audio card drivers would not work, and I had to revert back to Ubuntu 14.

I am installing the BIOS and driver updates as they are released and am wanting to find out if HP has or will ever verify that we can upgrade our Ubuntu OS without driver incompatiblities. At some point we need to be able to do this to utilize newer technologies and security features of newer operating systems.

Please advise.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

edjferg

HP only provides support for the original OS version that came with the PC, in this case, Ubuntu 14.04.

HP provides no indication of what, if any, future Ubuntu versions they will support on this workstation.

And, I know that driver support varies by Ubuntu version, as I recently upgraded my desktop to 16.04 and learned that the AMD proprietary drivers no longer work -- because, apparently, AMD has now dropped support for Linux with the kernel released with Ubuntu 16.04.

You might consider checking with the Ubuntu Forums, as folks there are very resourceful and inventive when it comes to finding workarounds for driver problems (that's where I go):  Ubuntu Forums

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi @edjferg,

From hp, it only Ubuntu 14.04, that is supported. But it does not mean that you can't upgrade to the newer version as rightly said by @WAWood driver support varies by Ubuntu version. And for the newer version of Ubuntu drivers are not available with hp. And you may check with Ubuntu team regarding the driver update.

Available drivers are only for Linux-HP Driver CD for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5367828&swItemId=wk_163318_1&swEnvOid=418...

For product related information on HP Z230 Tower Workstation, Please refer to below document.

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111362

I hope that answers your question. 🙂

I am an HP employee, the opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to acknowledge the post ***

HP Recommended

That is what I needed to know. Thank you all for the advise.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.