Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have no problems or questions, just want to give feedback and/or answer to questions which seem to be locked as of today. For example this:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Will-RTX-4080-fit-...

So I made a new post about the topic to give back information and experiences about it to the HP community.

Recently I transferred from AMD to nVidia side of GPUs. Tried A4000, it was good. A week ago I spontaneously grabbed a used RTX 4080 FE for about 1k€. Wanted it inside my Z4. Googled a lot, but found no guides or answers to fit it in a HP Z4 G4. So I decided and try to solve it myself.

It fits and works, with couple of small caveats only.

RTX 4080 Founders Edition physically fits in nicely, it powers up nicely, and performs really good with my tests. It fits inside the case too with only a slight mod to the case cover, case panel, or case front door (what ever it's called officially).

Things to consider:

Power feed:

- you'd want at least 700W or 1000W PSU. Didn't test with 465W, and not going to test either.

- You'd need a 90° degree 12VHPWR or a 180° degree VHPWR cable to feed the monster.

- You'd need enough PCIe 6-pin to 8-pin converter cables (HP brand or 3rd party, I used Deltaco 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe)

Case cover/panel mod:

- You'd need to remove the PCIe secure bar from the panel (this is easy and supported by HP)

- You'd need to remove the base of the above mentioned secure bar from the side panel (tools needed)

Software:

-You might need BIOS update and/or software/driver updates to take all of it to it's full promise

It's working for me now and anxious to get working fully with it.

Cinebench 2024: 24000 pts

Luxmark LuxBall: 101000 pts

I think the 4090FE is the same size as 4080FE, so only power feed differs with my situation here. You'd probably want the 1000W PSU with 4090FE to walk on the safe side of it.

Couple of pics attached/linked to highlight all of the above.

RTX4080_in_HP_Z€.jpgSide_panel_mod.jpgBenchmarks.jpg

DB_link to some more pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/73ydfjlhtphp5zq9a51li/h?rlkey=jx7gq6ytbx8mf89f1e58yxxa9&dl=0

HP Z4 G4/W-2195/256GB ECC/2+2TB NVME/RTX4080, Z2 mini G3, Z440, Z820, Z420, Z800, Z400
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Nice work on a tight fit. I liked your added pics via the DropBox link at the bottom of your post. It is clear there that the spot welds for the PCIe card stabilizer base are what needed the special tools.

Would you please provide a link or part number for your source of that special right-angle power connector you used? Also, some follow-up on temperatures if possible.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thanks.

I used this cable from Amazon.de https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0BXNM46P8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 (I live in Finland, so Deutschland fits very well for me).

I have now ordered some other 90/180 degree converters, which I hope are able to convert my other HP Z4 RTX 4xxx capable without side panel modificatons made  by tools. But I do doubt it though. It's probably needed to mod the side panel in almost every case with these 4080-4090 GPUs I think. Even with, and especially with, 3rd party GPUs. I was on the eve of it to buy an Asus Noctua edition of 4080. A monster of a GPU in size. Phuuh.

Temps seem to be like pretty normal I think. Please see pic.

temperatures.jpg

HP Z4 G4/W-2195/256GB ECC/2+2TB NVME/RTX4080, Z2 mini G3, Z440, Z820, Z420, Z800, Z400
HP Recommended

Further news and tests. I got the 180° degree adapter from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2GZR15Q?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I measured it, installed it, and took my other unmodified side panel to test it. And it fits allright.

So no need to use any tools to fit RTX 4080 FE in a Z4 G4. Just the right adapters and cables, and PSU enough to handle it.

The former adapter cable on the left and the new 180° angled converter one. It's about 6 to 6,5 millimeters of height difference between those. And it's just enough to fit in there.

Mis66_0-1706197403892.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.