Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

so now you understand why the ram you bought will not work in the z440?

both the hp user manual i linked to and the crucial information i previously posted plainly state "ECC" ram is required

i suspect that you might not be actually taking the time to FULLY READ the information provided in the links i posted 

while readin said information can be booring, in the end it's well worth doing so!

HP Recommended

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello, I know that the time is not the best place but, I am in need of some help, I am a new user of the HP Z400, I recently acquired a memory of 8GB ECC each bank. But I'm discovering that it only supports 4gb. Is there any BIOS update that allows you to use 8gb dimm's? thank you very much.
I apologize for my English, which is very bad. I am from Argentina.

HP Recommended

if the memory you have is "ECC" unbuffered then you can try it. again the memory must be "ECC" unbuffered  if you list the memory number here we can check it's specs

you can sometimes use a larger module than what the documentation will show this does not appear to be the case

with the z400 which uses the x58 chipset from what i can find however

both the early motherboard (4 dim slots) and the later motherboard revisions (6 dim slots) appear to only support 4GB dims.

all i can say is that you can try the 8GB dims (using the correct slot load order) and see if the system posts and shows

16GB using the 2 modules, if it does not post or the memory count is wrong then you have confirmed it will not support

the 8GB dims you have

HP Recommended

The memories that I am using from the manufacturer Goo3MM, and the model is VG07016761-735 are of the ECC type compatible with Servers and Workstation, 8gb each dimm.

The motherboard of my z400 is the one with 6 dimm slots. and I want to update the BIOS to the rev. 3.61 since it has rev. 3.10.

Currently it is working correctly with 2x 1GB which are the stock memories of the z400

Should I use slots 1-3 to test if it works?

I thank you very much for watching my post and for the help.

and again forgive me for my English, which is the google translator.

HP Recommended

@JoCapalbi@  wrote:

I recently acquired a memory of 8GB ECC each bank.

But I'm discovering that it only supports 4gb.

• 1 GB (1x1 GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM
  • 2 GB (1x2 GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM
  • 4 GB (1x4 GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM

DIMMs should be distributed across all three memory channels for optimal performance.

Each processor supports up to 3 channels of DDR3 memory.

To realize full performance, at least 1 DIMM must be inserted into each channel.

To get full 6 channel support, 2 processors MUST be installed.

HP Recommended

your ram is ECC unbuffered (8GB)

try 2 sticks in slots 1/3   (6 slot motherboard), start in the slot furthest from the CPU

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/HP-Z400-Workstation-memory-configuration-and-optimization....

slots 1/2  (4 slot motherboard),   start in the slot furthest from the CPU

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/HP-Z400-Workstation-memory-configuration-and-optimization....

if system does not post, or show 16GB with 2 sticks 8GB, then motherboard will only work with 4GB or smaller

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.