cusefan18
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Z800 Memory upgrade

HP Recommended
HP z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a HP z800. it currently has 12 GB of ram installed. 3 (2) GB sticks for each processor. I also attached a picture of 1 of the current memory sticks. I purchased 2 (4) GB sticks to upgrade. I put the 2 (4) GB stick in slots 7 and 8. When i went to boot, i received the red power light and beep errors. Needless to say the PC wouldnt boot. 

The ram stickas are 

Kingston Technology 4 GB (1x4 GB Module) 1333MHZ DDR3 PC3-10600 240-Pin Reg Ecc Single Rank DIMM for Select HP/Compaq Servers KTH-PL313S/4G.

Do you know from looking at the picture if they will work with my system? Thanks for the help!!

Rons Memory .jpg

4 REPLIES 4
DGroves
Level 11
4,494 4,477 409 938
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the z800 uses a x58 style chipset and as such has a tripple (three chanel ) memory controller due to this memory must be

installed in groups of 3 please reference the memory slot information that is on your side cover or in the HP service or user manuals

also make sure the new and existing memory modules are the same "rank" IE- rank 1 or rank 2

this information is printed on the memory label, you can not mix "ranks" or memory sizes in a bank, each of the 3 banks have 3 memory slots for single cpu systems and dual cpu systems use twice that

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/Mini_WP_Z800_memory.pdf 

0 Kudos
cusefan18
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the resonse DGroves. I am confused. Do you think the HP Z800 will take the (2) 4GB sticks of ram? if so, do you know what slots? Thanks again for the help.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,494 4,477 409 938
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

which part of my reply or the HP user manual  section on Ram was not clear?

you computer has  three memory controllers,  and either 3 banks of ram (single cpu) or 6 banks (dual cpu)

RAM MUST BE INSTALLED IN GROUPS OF 3 or 6 STICKS (single/dual cpu's)

ALL RAM in a bank (3 sticks or 6 sticks) must be the same size and type 

Read the HP manual or the diagram on the side panel  for proper ram placement, it will show you where each bank is and number of each ram slot

0 Kudos
cusefan18
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I misunderstood - thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation