Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11

I have the HP Z4 G4 workstation.

I wanted to upgrade my RAM.

I have 2 x Micron 16GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666MHz Registered ECC CL19 288-Pin DIMM 1.2V Single Rank Memory Modules (MTA18ASF2G72PZ-2G6D1QI), but I was greedy, I wanted more.

I did a (apparently insufficient) research and decided to buy 2 x Crucial 32GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL22 288-Pin DIMM 1.2V Dual Rank Memory Modules (CT32G4DFD832A).

I removed Microns and added Crucials (DIMM 1 and DIMM 8, as instructed).

PC won't boot - beeps red next to the power button.

Switched the modules back and it works normally.

So, what's the problem? Is it compatibility? Is it BIOS settings?

Please, help me.

Best regards,

Nikola

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Nikola:

What model processor does your PC have?

According to page 2 of the Quickspecs, PC's with the Intel® Xeon® W Processors only support ECC memory, and PC's with the Intel® Core™ X-series Processors only support non-ECC memory.

HP Z4 G4 Workstation

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, Nikola:

What model processor does your PC have?

According to page 2 of the Quickspecs, PC's with the Intel® Xeon® W Processors only support ECC memory, and PC's with the Intel® Core™ X-series Processors only support non-ECC memory.

HP Z4 G4 Workstation

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I have an Intel Xeon W-2133 processor.

I suppose I made two errors:

1. 3200MHz (it appears it cannot support more than 2666MHz - but I thought it could "downclock" it)

2. non-ECC (I guess it supports only ECC)

This is the Specs Sheet for it:

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c05846113#AbT5

I guess the best solution is to sell the Crucials and find another pair of the same 2666 MHz modules like the ones I possess or could I find not the same but the similar ones?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The 3200 MHz memory should bridge to 2666 MHz.

The showstopper for you was installing non-ECC memory in the PC.

But to play it 100% safe, I would buy DDR4-2666 MHz ECC memory.

Yes, HP left out that crucial piece of info on the specs link you posted.

You may have to find that memory on eBay.

Search by the memory part number of the currently installed memory.

HP Recommended

If I may just ask for your advice regarding those part numbers:

I have the MTA18ASF2G72PZ-2G6D1QI Micron 16GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666MHz Registered ECC CL19 288-Pin DIMM 1.2V Single Rank.

I have found several modules that defer from that one only in a final few characters, with some little or no apparent differences in mentiones characteristics, and I am not sure how far could I stray from what I have, since I plan to add them together.

Examples:

No1

MTA18ASF2G72PZ-2G6D1QK

(K instead of I)

Micron 16GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666MHz Registered ECC CL19 288-Pin DIMM 1.2V Single Rank

(no apparent differences)

No2

MTA18ASF2G72PZ-2G6D1SG Micron 16GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666MHz Registered ECC CL19 288-Pin DIMM 1.2V Single Rank

(no apparent differences)

No3

MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G6E1RI Micron 16GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666MHz Registered ECC CL19 288-Pin DIMM 1.2V Dual Rank

(Dual Rank - I don't know if it is supported)

So, my question is, how SAME does it need to be?

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much difference it would make.

If I had to pick one of the 3, I'd go with the first one, since is it so close to the ones you have.

Some of those ending characters are just lot/batch numbers, I believe.

HP Recommended

Okey.

Thank you, again, very much for your help.

Best regards,

NA

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know if the ECC memory chips you buy resolve the problem and which ones they were.

HP Recommended

memory speeds nowadays are largly dependant on which intel cpu is installed

this is due to current intel cpu's having the memory controller embedded into the cpu

higher end cpu's may support faster ram than lower spec parts

to determine the speed your cpu runs the memory at,..... look at the intel cpu specs for your cpu

and also check the HP "quickspecs" for your computer model to see what cpu's hp has tested as compatible/supported

last, ........yes faster speed ram will in general downclock to lower speeds as needed based on the stored memory config's that are embedded in the dimms  memory profiles (same for upclocking ram to 3200/3600 if the bios supports this)

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I will stick to the simplest solution.

I will be ordering the same model of modules I already have and know are supported.

Best regards,

Nikola

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.