Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF (E3S81UT#ABA)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have this out-of-warranty HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF (E3S81UT#ABA) that started exhibiting this strange behavior a few weeks ago.

During normal operations the PC is pretty quiet and works normally. Restart works normally too.

But when you shut down the PC, after Windows completing its shutdown process, the screen going in sleep mode, and the external power button led turning off, the power supply (p.n. 702307-001) fan starts spinning at maximum speed and continues this way indefinitely. I noticed that the internal motherboard led remains on. The only way to make it stop it’s to remove the power cord as the power supply doesn’t have any power switch. Pressing the front power button (even for 30 secs) doesn't make it stop.

I updated BIOS and drivers to latest versions. I also tried to issue the shutdown command from a Linux OS, with the same result, just to be sure it was not driver related.

Do you have any suggestions? BIOS settings or such (IME, AMT, ecc.?)

Should I replace the power supply or do you think it’s a motherboard issue?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I do not.

The question is...which hardware component has a problem?

Is it remotely possible the hard drive itself has a problem?

With it disconnected, the PC shuts off without the P/S fan going.

Do you have a spare hard drive you can install Windows on?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if updating the Intel Management Engine Interface driver to the latest version listed on your PC's support page resolves the problem.  Restart the PC after installing.

11.6.0.1045 Rev.A     May 12, 2017

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80001-80500/sp80297.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion Paul.

I already updated IME drivers to that version. I also updated BIOS at v2.73 and IME firmware at v9.1.42.3002.

After unsuccesfully trying that IME version (11.6.0.1045) that it's the latest on the HP site, I also updated to newer version 11.7.0.1045 trough Driver Booster.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that updating the IMEI driver didn't work.

The only other suggestion I can offer to rule out a software issue, would be to disconnect the power or data cable from the hard drive, turn the PC on and then switch it off.   With no OS involved, that rules out a software problem.

If the fan still goes crazy, then your PC most likely has a hardware issue. 

If it doesn't, then I would suggest you do a clean install of Windows 7.

If it is a hardware issue...exactly what component might be the culprit...that I do not know.

I do know that if your luck is anything like mine, whatever component you decide to replace first (motherboard or power supply), it won't be the right one.  :generic:

HP Recommended

Uhm... I just tried as you suggested (no disks and powering down from the front button) and it shutdowns correctly, so maybe is something software and not hardware related.

What is strange is that the Linux distribution I used (a live CD with Clonezilla), when you use the software command, does the same too.

I'll try to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately reinstalling Windows doesn't help.

I tried both with my standard image and with a bare Windows installer cd.

Any other idea to try?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I do not.

The question is...which hardware component has a problem?

Is it remotely possible the hard drive itself has a problem?

With it disconnected, the PC shuts off without the P/S fan going.

Do you have a spare hard drive you can install Windows on?

HP Recommended

Good shot: it was the hard drive (a Seagate ST1000DM003)!

If I disconnect that the PC shutdowns perfectly by software.

(There is a firmware update for Seagate drives on the support page, but unfortunately it's only for the ST1000LM model.)

HP Recommended

At least you figured out the root cause of the issue, and now you can easily replace the hard drive.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately after some time the problem reappeared even with the new disk... I will send the PC to the HP service center.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.