Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

This is the reality when you live in Europe. In the attached manual you can't even find the word M.2

https://support.hp.com/de-de/product/hp-z4-g4-workstation/16449890/manuals

2021-12-05_215210.jpg

HP Recommended

I found the problem:

The solution was an update of the ssd firmware. I had never, and i build for many Years PC's, an frimware of a drive updated...

OMG - Now the system is working fine.

Thanks for the inputs.

HP Recommended

Congratulations!  

Did you use the Samsung Magician software I suggested?  I have found that to be the most efficient way to update the firmware of their SSDs if needed.  Make sure to use the latest version, of course.

Also, if the SSD is bought from HP, which is usually clear from looking at its attached label, you may find that HP has a firmware updater that they have engineered.  Those may only work on the HP-source SSD.  And, a HP-source Samsung SSD may not be able to be updated with even the latest Samsung Magician SSD utility

HP Recommended

it's uncommon nowadays to see a retail consumer SSD have a issue with firmware that prevents the drive from being seen appon powerup

HP workstations almost always adhere to the published standards due to the market they are sold in so i suspect the issue may be with Samsung in this case which is why the newer firmware was needed to resolve this problem

HP Recommended

In the recent project we did upgrading a bunch of Z420 v2 workstations for home on-call medical imaging we used Samsung SSDs and got a great deal on 30 of them.  It turns out they were "new old stock" and had earlier firmware.  I had a tough time getting them to work properly until I used the Samsung Magician utility to upgrade their firmware, one at a time... not too bad of a project.

Lesson learned...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.