Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

the 4  intel "SCU"  ports are also sata 6GBps, but require the intel Enterprise RSTe driver to activate them through the motherboards c602 chipset. no current MS OS has native driver support for these ports a driver must be installed

Hi DGroves,

I'm reconfiguring and upgrading my z820.  In researching on the Forum, I found and am studying your early 2018 tips for z820 users.

Is there an Intel Storage firmware update that can make those 4 SCUs ports run at 6Gb/s? I thought only SATA 0 and SATA 1 -- the two AHCI ports -- were 6Gb/s, and the four SCUs were 3Gb/s. Am I wrong?

z820 drive config scenarios.JPG

I'm retiring both my eSATA external drives I've had running to the 6Gb/s SATA 0 and SATA 1 ports (...about to install an HP Thunderbolt 2 adapter card in replacement) and thought you couldn't run HDDs from the SATA ports. I thought that because none of the five scenarios from the attached HP chart above has HDDs on the two AHCI ports -- only eSATA and Optical drives.  I appear to be wrong about that, too! If the SCUs are 6Gb/s, I won't use any of LSI's 6Gb/s SAS ports.

I'm going to migrate all my current internal HDDs to 2.5" SATA SSDs. On the z820 do you know which, if any, of the three controllers -- Intel SATA & SCU, and LSI SAS -- will pass TRIM to the SSDs? Im thinking four Samsung 860 EVOs or PROs.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit in Legacy (RAID + AHCI) BIOS mode.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.