Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z6 G4 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On my Z640 I see I have BIOS

M60.v02.58  7/21 

and just found a possible update with

Z6/Z8-G4 WKS System 2.92  6/23

Should I update with this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Each "family" of workstations has different BIOS. The ZX40 workstations are quite different from the ZX G4 workstations. BIOS updaters generally will not allow a firmware BIOS to be flashed onto the wrong motherboard.

So, don't try that. 

There is a newer BIOS for your ZX40 workstation, however, version M60 02.62.bin. If you know how to find the .bin file from the updater SoftPaq for your workstation you'd see that its family "prefix" is M60. That for the ZX G4 has a family prefix of P60 instead.

I've attached a PDF on how to update BIOS from within BIOS, the safest way in my opinion, and this also explains how to harvest the .bin file from the SoftPaq. Below are two pics of where I get the .bin file from, for the M60 and the P60 families. You want the M60 family one. The process for doing this for the ZX20 and earlier workstation families is less complex.

What you want...What you want...

What you don't want...What you don't want...

Below is that PDF...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Each "family" of workstations has different BIOS. The ZX40 workstations are quite different from the ZX G4 workstations. BIOS updaters generally will not allow a firmware BIOS to be flashed onto the wrong motherboard.

So, don't try that. 

There is a newer BIOS for your ZX40 workstation, however, version M60 02.62.bin. If you know how to find the .bin file from the updater SoftPaq for your workstation you'd see that its family "prefix" is M60. That for the ZX G4 has a family prefix of P60 instead.

I've attached a PDF on how to update BIOS from within BIOS, the safest way in my opinion, and this also explains how to harvest the .bin file from the SoftPaq. Below are two pics of where I get the .bin file from, for the M60 and the P60 families. You want the M60 family one. The process for doing this for the ZX20 and earlier workstation families is less complex.

What you want...What you want...

What you don't want...What you don't want...

Below is that PDF...

HP Recommended

Many thanks. A very clear and helpful PDF.

I am starting that now. Just need to get a new USB.  Will report back when done 🙂

HP Recommended

Well everything went as planned. 

The fan error where the rear fan wasn't found, turned out to be a very small lizard was dead and jammed it.

The Bios went exactly as the PDF explained and all is up and running now.

Many thanks and the PDF is excellent.

HP Recommended

Happy to help. I'm here in the rainy Pacific Northwest of the US. We have to worry about slugs and snails wandering in... not lizards.

🐌

HP Recommended

We're in Sydney Oz..   

Waaaay down unda ! 

In Fall or Autumn now.

Lotsa creepies and critters here !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.