Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@sergeo-85 wrote:

>> If you replace the fan, are the symptoms still the same?

I don't know, I don't have the ability to connect another fan.

But if the fan does not get control, I think the other fan will work the same way.

Not having the same hardware nor experiencing the same symptoms as you, I don't have any other advice, other than to replace the fan, to determine if your thought is correct or incorrect.

The suggestion from that electronics technician is interesting.

Are you an electronics technician, so that you can follow that recommendation?

Do you have a friend who is one, who will work for "free"?

Otherwise, paying a technician will be much more expensive than swapping the fan.

HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote: 

the issue is not fan related but caused by the motherboard not having it's ambient tempture sensor connected. this makes the motherboard bios think it's either two hot or a bad sensor and the default rensponce is to ramp fans up to max 

How would one test to rule-out the possibility that the fan is incorrectly NOT responding to the "slow down" order from the motherboard? 

Try connecting the fan to some other motherboard? 

Replace the motherboard?

Any other options that you have not already recommended?

HP Recommended

all of the HP xw/Z series workstations have a ambient temp sensor, and when the sensor fails or is disconnected the default responce is to ramp the case  fan(s) speed to max this can also happen if the temp sensor circuit on the motherboard fails

if you search this forum you will see many posts on this issue, and the fix is to either replace the cable or if that fails the motherboard

note: if the motherboard ambient temp circuit has failed, you can as a last resort use 5 watt 50/55 ohm resistors to drop the van voltage from 12v to around 7 volt  thes can be bought on ebay or amazon look for PWM fan speed reducers

HP Recommended

> did you connect the transistors leads BASE/COLLECTOR to the correct motherboard header's pins?

That's what I want to know.

To the 11th pin, we connect the base of the transistor through a resistor 1 KOhm, and to the 12th pin of the transistor collector?

HP Recommended

you can buy more than a dozen transistors on ebay for less than 50 cents, and you only need to try it twice using two transisters

or bite the bullet and buy the dam cable and be done with it

HP Recommended

you can buy more than a dozen transistors on ebay for less than 50 cents, and you only need to try it twice using two transisters

I already wired the wire. As I already wrote, I connected the circuit described by you, but after connection the fan also rotates by 100%. With my questions I'm trying to figure out where the error is, why it does not work.

or bite the bullet and buy the dam cable and be done with it

:LaughingTears:  Im with pleasure to buy it, but:

1. It costs $ 20+ shipping :Icon_Alert:

2.The sellers aren't delivering it to my country.

If you have no desire / ability to help, then say so, I don't want to spoil anyone's mood.

P.S.: I use a translator, maybe that's why I don't write questions\answers correctly.

HP Recommended

i'm sorry you feel that my comment on the cost and time to try the transistor fix twice swappings leads adround

and then stating that buying a part for 20.00 is excessive  and that nobody ships to you (highly unlikely)

means that i'm really not trying to help you, i will now stop replying to this thread

and i wish you the best of luck in you finding  a solution

HP Recommended

I have ordered 5 mentioned transistors and a few 1k ohm resistors, and am going to make the temp sensor myself as I can't justify paying $50 plus for a cable I don't need.

Can I confirm the wiring for the transistor will go like this?

Base - goes to pin 11 via a 1k ohm resister 

Collector - goes to pin 12.

Emitter - unused

Thank you for your knowledge much appreciated.

HP Recommended

I assembled this cable as described above, but it never worked for me. I was forced to purchase this cable, and when I looked at the transistor, it was different! Model later write, if there is the need. On what type of pin connection is not checked.

HP Recommended

I have just peeled back the heatshrink covering where the transistor is and simply replaced it by cutting the 2 leads and soldering in a replacement (i first remove the header end from the motherboard before soldering)

BTW, the NPN 2n2222a is a general purpose low-power  transistor and for our use we want the cheaper TO-92 plastic version and there are many diffrent models that can be subsuited for it so it's no suprise you may have had a diffrent number transistor used

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.