Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Oh, by the way.  You showed a pic of your motherboard's barcode label... at least in all the earlier workstations the list on the left represents the possible variations that motherboard could be "branded" for (aka to "tattoo"). Only one of those possible options is used.  The previously omnipotential motherboard gets branded via a specific factory firmware flash, and this is different from a BIOS load.  To my knowledge that can only be done once, and not undone.  There never is a check mark on the barcode label next to what branding has been done.  There rarely is an added "replace with spare part xxxxxx-xxx" sticker on the motherboard that can let you figure out what it was actually branded for. 

2 of those 3 options on the left include "WIN" which means it can be branded as HP licensed (cash to Microsoft) to use the HP Recovery methods to easily get the HP/Microsoft Windows OS build back on a blank boot drive, and as shown that Windows branding may or may not include HP licensing for TPM functionality (cash to Infineon).  The top option on that left side, without "WIN", means it is not pre-licensed by HP for use of a MS OS (those were generally sold loaded with Linux).  The HP Recovery methods probe the motherboard for what is branded and will only work if they see the correct branding.  You still can get for free or buy an OS license from Microsoft, but the HP Recovery methods are nice because they allow subsequent cloning of OS builds assuming all the involved HP workstations are branded alike.

Some (or all) of the ZX40 family motherboards came with an upgradable TPM 1.2 chip soldered onto the motherboard, and all those can be firmware flashed to become a TPM 2.0 chip.  To my knowledge no ZX40 motherboard can not be upgraded to TPM 2.0 if came branded for either of those TPM versions.  You even can down-flash from TPM 2.0 to TPM 1.2.  I think the newer HP G4 workstations generally come with a TPM 2.0 chip soldered on but your bar code label indicates that at least some G4 boxes come with a TPM 1.2 chip (which surely also can be up-flashed to TPM 2.0).  However, there is no flash upgrade to TPM 2.0 for any of the particular TPM 1.2 chips used on the ZX00 and ZX20 workstations... that is impossible to do per DGroves.

Z8 G4 motherboard bar code label.jpg

HP Recommended

TPM 1.2 support with upgrade to 2.0 (or vice versa) is still supported on business class/workstations due to how slow the corporate world is regarding a major OS update and the fact many are also using custom software written in-house that still  is not TPM 2.0 aware

to the "OP" of this thread, did your system come with documentation and a USB key for a OS restore or a desktop icon for a OS  restore creation

HP Recommended

>>You stated the workstation was "procured" in the US.  Was it bought used or new?  Not all used HP workstations come from the US.

The workstation was procured from a US-based HP-reseller auction. The reseller had configured engineering workstations for a startup that folded shop before the order was delivered. I bought the workstation "brand-new" in the sense it came in the factory sealed box with complete documentation as well as recovery CDs. I had the full 3 year warranty transferred to me as well.

>> For some reason HP sent their workstation BIOS out from the factory with this setting at "Device hidden" and all the rest in that subsection are set to "Device available".

I did check prior to making this post since I noticed one of the solutions posted previously was to make sure the Embedded Security Device is visible. Unfortunately, I don't have that option listed in my BIOS. the "get-tpm" command output I posted earlier in the topic was with admin rights and I am posting it again here:

Prashaanth_0-1645122995225.png

HP Recommended

>> to the "OP" of this thread, did your system come with documentation and a USB key for a OS restore or a desktop icon for a OS  restore creation

Yes, the system was delivered in the original factory packaging with documentation and recovery discs. 

HP Recommended

I think I have exhausted all the options, and I think it is fair to say my workstation was configured with TPM disabled. I am unsure why a workstation procured in the US from a reseller based in the US would have it disabled, but it is possible the reseller configured their hardware in China/another country where TPM is unallowed.

Thanks for all the assistance, I appreciate the helpful responses.

HP Recommended

did you buy from a AUTHORISED HP reseller? if so you may still have recourse with the seller or HP to get this resolved

and if still under HP warranty,..... again contact HP on this issue

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.