Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z620
Linux

I recently acquired an HP Z620 workstation that I plan to use as a media server, NAS, etc. The hard drives and memory had already been picked from the machine, but I had a few sticks of Micron RAM (Unbuffered and Registered) that fit the specifications. I added a 120GB SSD for the OS disk as well.

The system will boot into the BIOS without issue, but I am unable to boot from a USB drive to attempt an OS install. I’ve tried both Windows 10 and Linux. The system recognizes the USB drive and I can get the initial splash screen to appear for both installers. But when I try to initialize the process, a black box immediately appears on the screen and a few moments later, it loses the video signal.

I combed through the BIOS security settings to make sure the USB ports are enabled. Booting from USB is enabled as well. Legacy is enabled as well. I don’t see any other settings that could potentially cause the problem. I reset the BIOS to the default settings and pulled the CMOS battery as well. I’ve tried different USB ports and thumb drives too. Nothing seems to work though.

From my research so far, I suspect it may be the memory. The BIOS is recognizing the memory correctly, but it sounds like these machines are very particular about the memory they will use. So, I wanted to see if anyone has any other troubleshooting suggestions I can do before spending more money on memory. During testing, I tried the memory sticks individually. I tried the multiple unbuffered sticks. I tried single stick configurations and get the same result each time. I did not mix the unbuffered and registered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System: HP Z620

CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10 GHz

GPU: nVidia NVS 315 1GB DDR3

RAM1: Micron 2GB 1600MHz PC3-12800R DDR3 ECC x3

RAM2: Micron 4GB 1600MHz PC3-12800E DDR3 ECC x1

SKU: F1L18UT#ABA

System BIOS: J61 v03.69

Boot Block Date: 03/06/2013

HP Z620
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion, DGroves. I've had issues attempting to boot via usb 3.0 ports in the past so I stuck with the usb 2.0 ports. I also changed the boot order to the desired device and tried manually selecting the boot device as well.

So I doubled back on the BIOS settings again. There were a few settings that I honestly was not 100% familiar with but it was also not clear if they would disrupt an attempted OS install. The first setting was disabling the Data Execution Prevention option. The second setting was disabling the Network Boot option.  I assumed resetting the BIOS would prevent the system from attempting to boot from a previously used network device.

After disabling these two settings I was able to successfully begin the installation process. I believe it was the Data Execution Prevention option based on the behavior after loading the initial ISO disk.

Thank you again to everyone that responded to my inquiry. It is greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to getting my new (old) Z620 up and running!

HP Z620

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your PC has a DVD drive, download the W10 ISO file instead of creating the bootable USB flash drive and use the tool that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response, Paul. I will try to install via the DVD drive.

HP Z620
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the DVD installation attempt has produced the same result. The system appears to begin reading the installation source and the initial Windows icon appears on the screen. After a short period of time though, the video feed turns off, but the system remains on. I double-checked the BIOS settings and Secure Boot is disabled, PXE is disabled, and I selected the DVD drive as the boot source.

HP Z620
HP Recommended

Download the hp diagnostics software disc and run it. See what it finds.

HP Recommended

It might be the memory as you suspect.

Since your PC is not working, there is a bootable USB 4 in 1 diagnostics key you can make, and see what it reports.

You can find that at the link below, middle file at the bottom of the page.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

HP Recommended

Okay, so the good news is the system passed all the HP diagnostic testing. I ran both the System and Component tests. I ran the Fast/Quick test first and ran the extensive test overnight and there were no reported errors or issues. The successful testing includes the memory, but I don't know if any incompatibility issues would be reported during a diagnostic test. The bad news is that I am still unable to boot from a device or disc other than the HP diagnostic tool.

I am hoping to pick up some more memory tomorrow for testing. In the mean time, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm willing to try anything at this point. I have years of experience working with consumer desktops in a professional and personal environment but this is my first time working with server hardware or an HP system. I assume it wouldn't be much different but am also wondering if I am just missing a simple troubleshooting step.

Everything points to a good and healthy machine. So I hope I'm just dealing with some incompatible memory or other simple issue. Thank you again for the replies. It is greatly appreciated.

HP Z620
HP Recommended

You may have already done this but if not, go into the BIOS and restore the settings to initial factory settings. I have seen where sometimes the security settings are such that a system does not boot as you are describing.

HP Recommended

Great suggestion and that is actually one of the first things I did after the initial boot up.

HP Z620
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.