Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

NOT sata SSD. That’s incorrect.

Any Zx20 system can use nvme M.2 ssds at full x4 speed buy inserting it into a proper PCIe M.2 card adapter . It can then be used as a fast data drive but as mentioned, not as boot drive. Bios was never updated by HP to allow booting ( so you upgrade of course ) but you can change and program the bios to boot off ( but it’s hard and risky) so don’t.   

if you want the get even faster you can buy an M.2 raid card and use four m.2 sticks together. The main advantage of the Zx20 over Zx40 is PCIe bifurcation so make sure your raid card has bifurcation chips and you’ll get same 7GB speeds as both the Zx40 and newest Zx G4s, 

HP Recommended

the hp z240 tower and SFF models support both SATA and NVME pci-e 4x drives as boot devices

HP enabled NVME boot support in all zx40 models

as such the z240 tower can use the HP Turbo Z  (SATA) and the Turbo Z 2 cards (NVME) to boot the OS under win 8 or later (booting win 7 x64 under nvme can be done but i's not easy or supported by HP)

the previous zx20 line has only SATA booting support (no nvme) however you can use nvme drives as a DATA drive

From the HP quickspecs paper:

The HP Z240 TWR is capable of configuring up to 2 Z Turbo Drives. By default, the 1st Z Turbo Drive configured will be installed in the M.2 slot on the system’s motherboard. The 2nd Z Turbo drive will be installed via PCIe card into the PCIe Gen 3 x4 slot.

https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04760707.pdf

HP Recommended

Thought that’s what I just said.  You stated earlier that on a Zx20 you can hook it up via only sata and thats simply not correct, you can easily hook it up via PCIe adapter and get most all the benefits likE state of the tech speed and not be choked by sata limits. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the details. You had mentioned: "while you can add a m.2 form factor nvme based ssd to the z240 using a pci-e carrier you can not clone a legacy "MBR ppartion" onto a UEFI GPT partition as long as both the existing drive and the new drive are GPT partions you can clone  from one drive to another a quick check for a GPT is to use "disk manager" and note the partition type reported"

I am attaching the screenshot of my current bootable drive. It would be great if you can have a look and let me know if I can clone this to NVMe and then boot via the NVMe drive2018-11-08_12-42-31.jpg

HP Recommended

Looks great.. thank you for sharing.. so were you able to clone the C: SATA to this and then boot it via using  Samsung 960 PRO M.2 SSD 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.