Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my Z420 workstation by changing the CPU but I'm not sure about wich one will be compatible with my system board.

I've found this link talking about v1 Xeon or v2 Xeon according to the system board : https://www.greenpcgamers.com/mfg/dell/hp-z420-gaming-computer-and-other-upgrades/  but the problem is I can't find wich board is mine.

My serial number is CZC2398PKX and my actual CPU is a Xeon E5-2670.

Thank you for your possible help.

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

using this sites "search" feature is one way to help yourself. this question gets asked over and over again

here's a post by "SDH" on this subject:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z420-Different-Rev...

============================================================================================

Yes, there are two versions.... the original "Version 1" and the "Version 2".  The original can run the Sandy Bridge Xeon processors that HP certified for it.  The Version 2 can run both those Sandy Bridge and the newer Ivy Bridge "v2" processors.  A nice little article on the differences between those two generations of processors is linked below.  Again, assuming you have a later version Z420 you generally can only the Sandy and Ivy Brige processors listed by HP can due to built-in BIOS microcode limitations (there are a few rare exceptions):

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405317,00.asp

A trick that works for most HP workstations is to search, for example, for "Z420 Spare Parts" in Google.

At the top of the results you'll see the HP page for that, and note under the Z420's Processors section that there are 700000 series part number processors with IB (Ivy Bridge) in front as available processors.  Note also down at the Miscellaneous section at the bottom are a couple of 700000 part number motherboards.  Those are the later Version 2 ones.  The -001 comes pre-set for W7 installs; the higher number for W8.

I don't have the BIOS boot block date for easy differentiation between Version 1 versus Version 2 for the Z420, but that is the best way to tell if you have one.  The boot block dates for the Z620 and Z820 are 12/28/11 for the original and 3/6/13 for the Version 2 motherboards.  Look in your BIOS under the first tab for that.... Your Z420 may not have those exact dates but should be close, and you'll know from that.

Thus, if you focus on QuickSpecs and HP literature from the early 2013 era you'll start seeing the Ivy Bridge processors being referred to.

You can look at the Intel "Ark" site under the HP approved v2 processors to see if there is only 1 sSpec code, and if so you can be sure that you are buying an identical used eBay processor to upgrade to if you go that route.  Search eBay under the sSpec code once you find that at the ark site.... it will be linked at bottom left of the front page for each processor you search for.

I've upgraded processors into the Z400/Z600 workstations but not yet a ZX20 workstation.  Same process I am sure, just more expensive.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

using this sites "search" feature is one way to help yourself. this question gets asked over and over again

here's a post by "SDH" on this subject:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z420-Different-Rev...

============================================================================================

Yes, there are two versions.... the original "Version 1" and the "Version 2".  The original can run the Sandy Bridge Xeon processors that HP certified for it.  The Version 2 can run both those Sandy Bridge and the newer Ivy Bridge "v2" processors.  A nice little article on the differences between those two generations of processors is linked below.  Again, assuming you have a later version Z420 you generally can only the Sandy and Ivy Brige processors listed by HP can due to built-in BIOS microcode limitations (there are a few rare exceptions):

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405317,00.asp

A trick that works for most HP workstations is to search, for example, for "Z420 Spare Parts" in Google.

At the top of the results you'll see the HP page for that, and note under the Z420's Processors section that there are 700000 series part number processors with IB (Ivy Bridge) in front as available processors.  Note also down at the Miscellaneous section at the bottom are a couple of 700000 part number motherboards.  Those are the later Version 2 ones.  The -001 comes pre-set for W7 installs; the higher number for W8.

I don't have the BIOS boot block date for easy differentiation between Version 1 versus Version 2 for the Z420, but that is the best way to tell if you have one.  The boot block dates for the Z620 and Z820 are 12/28/11 for the original and 3/6/13 for the Version 2 motherboards.  Look in your BIOS under the first tab for that.... Your Z420 may not have those exact dates but should be close, and you'll know from that.

Thus, if you focus on QuickSpecs and HP literature from the early 2013 era you'll start seeing the Ivy Bridge processors being referred to.

You can look at the Intel "Ark" site under the HP approved v2 processors to see if there is only 1 sSpec code, and if so you can be sure that you are buying an identical used eBay processor to upgrade to if you go that route.  Search eBay under the sSpec code once you find that at the ark site.... it will be linked at bottom left of the front page for each processor you search for.

I've upgraded processors into the Z400/Z600 workstations but not yet a ZX20 workstation.  Same process I am sure, just more expensive.

HP Recommended

Thank you for this verry complete answer.

This will help me well.

Bye,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.