Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using Hp z600, has 2 processor xeon x5675, I recently realized wich only one cpu is working. Since a couple of months I upgrade to W10x64 (on W7 everyting was working  fine).

Right now:

- BIOS recognize 2 cpu and all the theads are enabled

- DeviceManager show 24 processors

- Windows task manager show only 1 soket, 6 cores

- Graphic software I'm using show only 6 cores

I already try to:

- unmount and switch the cpu

- change the motherboard and update the BIOS to the last version

When I changed the motherboard w10 just ask me to restart from a previus point, so I don't have format again.

Can be really Windows?

Next step I'll try to format again. Thank you in advance if someone have a good idea!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Which version of Windows 10 do you use?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

why people jump to "it's a bios issue" so fast and often amazes me

in your case lets take the time to  look at whats going on

1. the Bios shows 2 processors, and the Bios is a low level hardware check that runs BEFORE WINDOWS

2. windows is a software application that runs on top/after the bios and is showin only one cpu

now based on the above,  where do you think the problem lies (hint the bios is corectly seeing the hardware)

so if the bios see's the hardware correctly why do you think flashing the bios will fix a software error?

you should be looking at the software that runs after the bios check (windows itself) as that's where the problem lies

you can either troubleshoot windows which will take quite a bit of time most likely or simply reinstall win 10 from scratch

HP Recommended

My mistake, I missed to explain you whitch the previus mainboard the BIOS was showing me only one cpu, so probably windows didn't recognize the changes.

Anyway thank you for the clarifications! I'll let you know how is working after windows installation from scratch.

HP Recommended

Which version of Windows 10 do you use?

HP Recommended

you are right Bernd83HN ! My problem was exactly the W10 home version. Now with W10 pro the workstation work fine!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.