Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi my old 1125W PSU failed in my old Z820 WS. As I am not a computer expert at all, I just ordered a new PSU online, unfortunately an 850W version. Now, I am getting a message “514 Power supply wattage insufficient for hardware configuration” (and an option F1 to Boot). F1: I can boot and use the WS. Looks like everything is working.

Now the question is: Can I expect malfunctions later leaving the 850W PSU unit in?

And if not (or unlikely), can I get rid of the error message while booting by changing something in the BIOS etc?

Some specs of the WS:

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2687W 0 @3.10GHz (2 units)

64GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro 6000

1 SDD

3 HDD

running Win 10

What else may be needed to judge?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

your system may become unstable as the 850 watt supply is NOT RECOMMENDED with your high power cpu's

this can cause damage to your system (unlikely but possible) and also data loss (very likely) when the supply fails due to excessive load on the power supply subsection that powers the motherboard/cpu

i use these tower systems and i strongly recommend you replace the supply with the higher wattage one before using the system

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This is called a "recoverable error message". That is the boot can be recovered by pressing F1 rather than it demanding a shutdown to protect the computer. Some workstations have the option to bypass such errors without throwing a F1 request but that F1 bypass is turned off by default. You can change this in the Zx20 BIOS, shown below.

The F1 request showing up is the default. You can set this to the opposite. If you don't push your computer hard and are not using big drives and high power video card(s) you may be able to get away with that forever with your current power supply. EDIT: see comments from DGroves below.

Here is the page from the Zx20 technical and service guide and this shows where to find that. I hope you know how to change a BIOS setting and don't forget to save the change on the way out of BIOS:

The change is a bit counterintuitive...The change is a bit counterintuitive...

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, SDH for looking into it.

I changed the BIOS settings accordingly (no problems, also correctly saved them). Unfortunately, the problem remains. I would consider that this is not a simple configuration change notification but another type of warning/notification.

Is there possibly a hardware configuration setting that can be adapted so the WS will accept a 850W PSU?

I also would assume that for my use cases this should be enough.

HP Recommended

your system may become unstable as the 850 watt supply is NOT RECOMMENDED with your high power cpu's

this can cause damage to your system (unlikely but possible) and also data loss (very likely) when the supply fails due to excessive load on the power supply subsection that powers the motherboard/cpu

i use these tower systems and i strongly recommend you replace the supply with the higher wattage one before using the system

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot.

I 'll look for a stonger PSU

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.