Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have purchased a Creative Soundblaster Zx soundcard and have plugged it into a PCIe slot of my Z420. whe installing the driver, from the supplied CD, the installation process appears to progress for about 5 minutes and then hangs, or loops as we used to say years ago. I waited for about half an hour as a the driver did write a message on the screen saying that it would take several minutes. After half an hour however I saw that the installation process was not using any  CPU so decided it was stalled. Has anyone else had a similar experience when attempting to install a sound card on a Z420, with Windows 8.1 - 64 bit ?

I should add the following information:
1.  The installation instructions said that I should remove any existing soundcard, but I could not do this as the sound on the Z420 is provided by an onboard (MOB that is) Realtec High Definition Audio chip (or device).

2. The above being the case, had disabled the front speaker with the BIOS option that allows this; however I notived that this did not in fact disable the frony speaker.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.