cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
laartistguy
Level 2
27 17 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

DesignJet 4500PS 86:01 Error - Encoder Strip

HP Recommended
4500PS

I have a DesignJet 4500ps that has a "Paper Jam Error".

Background:

Used NASA plotter that was never used. It is mint. Absurdly good condition. It was in a Jet Fuel lab in Cleveland and forgotten. Built in 2006. I picked it up 6 months ago. On first plug in, it worked! Then it didn't work again. After unnecessarily replacing the power supply from poor tech advice, I ended up replacing one of the main gamut boards. Then it worked again for about 20 minutes.

At that point, I went through the entire machine to service it like new to perform like new and trouble free. I know far more than I ever want to about this machine. Arguably, I have more experience in hours and tech maintenance time that most HP service techs.

Unfortunately, I cleaned the encoder strip (with warm water and soap), which looked absolutely new. I got quite a bit of residue off of the plastic part of the encoder strip. I fear there was markings on the plastic part of the encoder strip needed to operate.

Yesterday, I spent another 1.5 hours servicing the print carriage, removing the encoder strip and putting it all back together. Does the plastic part of the encoder strip have necessary markings?

I'm ready to call it a day and part it out. It's a tough decision as it is comparable to taking a new Ferrari found in a garage that won't start, pulling the motor, tires and interior and chucking the body. To make me at peace and recover my losses, I'd rather pull everything of value that is easy to ship and list on ebay and go to Home Depot and buy a nice sledge hammer.

I figured I'd pick up a six pack of brewskies, setup my video camera and smash it like on Office Space. Seriously.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Doubt you need to trash it.  You may have wiped the markings off the encoder strip.  Easy and cheap to replace.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Encoder-Strip-for-42-HP-DesignJet-4000-4500-4020-4520-Z6100-Z6200-Q1273-6023...

Is it giving any error codes?  What happens when you plug it in and turn it on?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
laartistguy
Author
Level 2
27 17 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

86:01 Error. After diagnosing the errror code, the manual says it the Encoder strip.

With respect to the encoder strip on ebay, I've heard the China made replacement parts are a hit or miss.

laartistguy
Author
Level 2
27 17 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are there any markings on the plastic part lower half of the encoder strip?

The encoder strip is in new condition. All of the tick markings are perfect on the metal upper half.

I believe the plotter does not know where the carriage is and needs to reset the carriage location...

D Hook
Level 7
877 824 37 101
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you ever get this working?  I'm looking at picking up a free 4500PS that the owner says had a printhead issue but not sure what that means.  Are these things printhead hogs?  Anything else to watch out for?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation