Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

The plotter is working and you are having a communication or driver issue.  Remove all instances of the plotter from the computer and turn the computer off and turn the plotter off.  Now turn the computer back on and when it gets to ready go into the printers folder to make sure all of the instances of the printer are gone.  Now if you have a usb port on the computer that has not been used before for this machine, (maybe in front) plug in the usb and see if the computer finds to hardware and loads the printer.  If it does go into the printers folder and go the printer properties and see if you can print a test page from the general tab.  If you can then the plotter should be working.  If you can not or the computer does not load the plotter, report back.

HP Recommended

Thank you David Zuts.

I removed the Plotter again but also found a file called IEEE1284.4 in that folder. I looked it up online and found that it has something to do with the drivers. So I deleted it also, then re-loaded my plotter. It is now functioning. I guess I was previously hesitant to delete things not knowing what they did.

I really appreciate your help at let me know how I can repay you for getting me up and running again.

Clarkatek.

HP Recommended

Hi!  I posted the original query and have followed all your steps of completely uninstalling the printer, switching everything off, then on and trying the new USB port, all of which worked well.  Some software automatically installed when I plugged it into the USB port, but when I sent the test print to the computer (twice), it didn't print. 

I'd be really grateful if you could let me know the next step.

Many thanks.

Charlotte

HP Recommended

Hi,

Looks like you are connecting the printer to the computer via USB

Try this

Go to the printer Properties and check the port used by the printer

Install the following driver

24in model

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=377948&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063

42in model

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=61000&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063

And set the port to the one used by the driver installed by windows.

Delete the driver installed by Windows and test

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

Thanks, I actually just ran the trouble shooter after reinstalling the printer, then switched everything off and on again and that seemed to clear everything up!  I haven't had any trouble since then and I've done a lot of printing.

Many thanks for taking the time to help.

Kind regards,

Charlotte

HP Recommended

Anyone else has encountered the same issue with designjet 510? I am having the same problem. I removed and reinstalled the drivers for the printer but the same thing happens. printer will print some lines and after that it stops printing and the printer head just hangs by moving just a little bit left and right  on the right side of the plotter. This happens on windows 10 and windows 7.

Please help!

HP Recommended

Hi,

@ermalx have you try @Lotty258 steps?

Also, how are you reinstalling the printer? What steps are you following?

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

Encounter exactly the same problem in windows 7!

usb connected (4 mt cable). trying Lan connection but persisted.

driver reinstalled.

now printing with HP instant printing 3 seems better but sometimes stops again.

installing more memory (HP Memory SODIMM 256Mb) may be a solution?

HP Recommended

Use the regular driver and in the properties click on the troubleshooting icon and then check the box to send the job as a bitimp (process in computer). This solves the issue most times.

HP Recommended

tried this and spoolsmart too. every combination.

nothing change.

Now I'm using HP instant printing 3 and the problem appeared "only" once.

but I did few prints whit it. Need more usage to say something more about this.

what about memory expansion? (HP Memory SODIMM 256Mb) can change something?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.